Frag tank questions for the masses :)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First - I am trying to buy a Zoo Med low boy and I am striking out. None of their dealers in my area stock them (all petco's). Where are you guys getting them?

Next - I want to plumb this into my matured RS Max 500. I run two return pumps, a M2 from the sump to the display running through a UV, typically very very low flow. And a S2 that utilizes the OEM sump return set up.

This setup is temporary (6 months) until I can move this into a fish room that is being developed. I have a new tank that is 30 day out of the dark cure and I want to start gather coral for when I am ready to load that tank up (3-5 months).

I don't want to use the chiller connection (if you are familiar with this tank) that the S2 is plumbed too. My thoughts are to put a T in front of the UV with a gate vale to the UV to tune that flow down and tune the overall M2 flow to what I want to the frag tank. IF something happened where I need to crank the flow up through the UV, I would switch the gate valve over to the frag line and tune respectively.

I have never ran two tanks off one sump. I do have auto dosing, so I would have to adjust that. What else should I think through. The extra 50 gallons will tax my current heater set up, should I add a second heater setup to the system? Should the placement be the sump or frag tank? Thank you in advance for the read...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vaguely remember a rep from ZooMed telling me at a show that the 50g low boy aquarium was the same/similar to the 50g low boy terrarium. If this is true then you may be able to get one from a local reptile shop. Good luck with your search!

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I vaguely remember a rep from ZooMed telling me at a show that the 50g low boy aquarium was the same/similar to the 50g low boy terrarium. If this is true then you may be able to get one from a local reptile shop. Good luck with your search!
@Peace River - I owe you a beer. I just called ZooMed and they confirmed. It's the identical tank marketed differently. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back