Frag Tank Without Skimmer

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a Zoa frag tank without a skimmer. Just wanted your opinions on this. I will do water changes once a week(~5g). What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Tank Specs:

Tank- 20H
Sand- 40lbs reef sand
LR- ~10lbs
Lights- 250w 20k
Algae- Dragon's Breath (Will get some other types soon!)
Flow- HOB filter (No Filter, Just Cheato)
Filtration- LR and Macro
Heater- 50w visi-therm

What do u think?

Last edited:

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine, I have 8 prop tanks and only one skimmer I move around where needed if I increase a fish load suddenly.

I'd add a bit more flow though than just the HOB, but all else looks sound, Good Luck!

Peace, Bryan

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Byran! I am debating not adding sand and just making it BB. Can u give me some info on your prop tanks. Do u have macro?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that you will be okay with your set up... you might want to add more flow if you decide to go BB..

my office nano prop tank... I can hold 70-80 frags on plugs at a time.. :D
- 12g jbj
- chamber 1: LR rubble; chamber 2: stock sponge; chamber 3: stock return
- BB
- ~ 8" x 8" eggcrate on pvc pipes
- only other thing I have in there is another Rio 80
- only 1 fish (black oscellaries clown)

I plan on adding another small PW.. I try to do 1g-2g water every 10-14 days.. :) and more snails.. the two astreas I put in the tank have devoured the hair algae in the back of the tank... almost all gone... I think if you don't overfeed a tank, they have no choice but to eat algae.. :lol:

good luck buddy..

Last edited:

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a skimmer is not needed, bb is fine, that is how my frag tank is setup, but i do have a skimmer on it.

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I think I am gonna go with the sand for now. I may end up pulling it out later. My plan is to add a pipefish into the tank in a few months. So I think the sand would be better for pod growth along with the cheato and other macro algae. I just don't want the colors of the zoas to be compromised. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sounds good. Skimmer isn't needed on that small of a setup...

I would recommend not putting sand or macro inside the frag tank. Maybe setup a fuge?

Any reason why? It was just some dragons breath and some sea grass.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 20 gallon prop tank with 10 gallon sump...it is BB with no skimmer. You should actually be fine if you not religious with the once a week water changes...depending on what your bio load is of course! Correct me if I am wrong someone...but zoos like a little dirtier water than other corals.

The fuge with a little macro in there as apposed to having it in the prop will help greatly with nutrient export.

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 20 gallon prop tank with 10 gallon sump...it is BB with no skimmer. You should actually be fine if you not religious with the once a week water changes...depending on what your bio load is of course! Correct me if I am wrong someone...but zoos like a little dirtier water than other corals.

The fuge with a little macro in there as apposed to having it in the prop will help greatly with nutrient export.

Thanks! Can u explain how it is better for nutient export in the fuge as opposed to being in the display.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it is better. The benefits though in my mind would be: If you have ever grown macro in your display you know how it attaches to every little frag. SO keeping it safely in the fuge takes away the unsightliness (in my mind) of having macro growing out of every crevice. The macro also acts as a sort of filter pad which would captor detritus as it comes through the fuge...and scrubs the water before being returned to the display. One of the greatest benefits would be the ability to run the lights in the fuge on an opposite schedule as the lights on the display which stops dips and spikes in ph.

If you really want to get a great nutrient export benefit out of Macro...go with some Chaetomorpha...there are a lot of articles around I could dig up about how safe it is...meaning it doesn't go sexual, and it is very easily prunable.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it is better. The benefits though in my mind would be: If you have ever grown macro in your display you know how it attaches to every little frag. SO keeping it safely in the fuge takes away the unsightliness (in my mind) of having macro growing out of every crevice. The macro also acts as a sort of filter pad which would captor detritus as it comes through the fuge...and scrubs the water before being returned to the display. One of the greatest benefits would be the ability to run the lights in the fuge on an opposite schedule as the lights on the display which stops dips and spikes in ph.

If you really want to get a great nutrient export benefit out of Macro...go with some Chaetomorpha...there are a lot of articles around I could dig up about how safe it is...meaning it doesn't go sexual, and it is very easily prunable.

I would agree, if you didn't like it in the tank for looks, and you just want nutrient export.

I would say though, that I make a good deal of money off pruning the other kinds in my tank- it'slike having an automatic discount in your back pocket for fish and corals at the local FS... and you can get $$ off it quick if you need to on Ebay or a forum like this or others.

Depends on what your goals are I suppose. I grow it both places, tank and fuge. Add some pest anenomes into the fuge with it if you are just looking for nutrient export. Those suckers use up nutrients like there's no tomorrow- keeps the tank from crashing ever if you do something stupid, like I do all the time.... LOL

:D
Laurie

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I really appreciate the help from all of you.

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use some cheato in a fine mesh bag in my prop tank, the fine mesh stops the macro from spreading and saves setting up a fuge, i position the mesh bag next to the powerhead intake so that the mesh bag collects debris/dust aswell, i then just give the mesh bag a rinse now and then to clear/clean it

works for me lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back