Fragging a 15 year old Bubble Coral?

Sureshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I have this 15 year old Cat Eye Bubble that I really need to frag it’s outgrown it’s space in the tank and encroaching on other corals. I’m hoping to get some insight on how to do this, best way, less stressful way on the coral any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! For reference the tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525 (5 feet long by 2 feet wide) this thing could easily swallow an entire football.
6B37833C-18C5-4202-B0DA-9F0FFE305A89.jpeg
7CCCD6C9-D38B-4FA1-AF74-3B386D95DC2C.jpeg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with bubbles you cant just cut them whereever, it may need to stay as one piece. Does it have branches where the flesh isnt connected? Or is it one single head with a single mouth?

OP
OP
Sureshot

Sureshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with bubbles you cant just cut them whereever, it may need to stay as one piece. Does it have branches where the flesh isnt connected? Or is it one single head with a single mouth?
I’ve been able to count a total of 8-9 different mouths there’s one entire mouth is is separated like the flesh doesn’t connect so I’m guessing cutting that would be the best

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s exactly how to frag it correctly:

don’t frag it

:) bro thats a showpiece you’re like ten years away from a captive plerogyra world record or something

reefbuilders would write an article on it, you could talk about that at macna in a few more years, frag sensitive family heirlooms from the 1800s before you saw that bad boy.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been able to count a total of 8-9 different mouths there’s one entire mouth is is separated like the flesh doesn’t connect so I’m guessing cutting that would be the best
You would need a band saw or just a hand saw for stone but you can frag it then wherever the flesh isnt connected between heads.

Its a beautiful piece, but id frag it too. Mine is about 12 years old and 14in across and stings everything within 4-6in of it so it takes up some serious real estate. Its only a single mouth so i cant frag it unfortunately.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I have this 15 year old Cat Eye Bubble that I really need to frag it’s outgrown it’s space in the tank and encroaching on other corals. I’m hoping to get some insight on how to do this, best way, less stressful way on the coral any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! For reference the tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525 (5 feet long by 2 feet wide) this thing could easily swallow an entire football.
Agreed with others to not frag it.... you've got one of the most beautiful specimens of my fave coral. Incredible. You need a larger tank lol... Brilliant job with this one. Congrats.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont be afraid just cut it . It will be alright

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also contrary to the advice given it doesn't really matter where you cut a bubble Coral you don't have to worry about the mouths or how large or small you cut the pieces I've actually cut my bubble Coral in several pieces not worrying about the mouth in fact I've grown a bubble from one small flat platelet that had flesh on it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a band saw or just a hand saw for stone but you can frag it then wherever the flesh isnt connected between heads.

Its a beautiful piece, but id frag it too. Mine is about 12 years old and 14in across and stings everything within 4-6in of it so it takes up some serious real estate. Its only a single mouth so i cant frag it unfortunately.
At 14 inches across the silver medal ain't so bad imo lol....we need a pic of this Goliath too....waits pensive....

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check out @Vinman post above. I would consider him the resident expert on cutting Bubbles. He has fragged his Bubble multiple times and sold the frags here in the forum I have one of the frags. Study his thread, cut yours in half, sell the other.

1E29EB37-3E41-4EB4-86E7-7F371F3C8D45.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back