Fragging question

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mummy eye chalice, the green with red eyes. They have taken over and I'd like to frag them. One is growing up my very large toadstool mushroom leather, although they don't seem to be fighting. The mummy eye are on live rock. How do I remove or frag these to control their growth?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don’t have this tool, go to your LFS and ask them to cut it for you, or buy a dremel.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don’t have this tool, go to your LFS and ask them to cut it for you, or buy a dremel.

Question regarding this. My mummy eye has a very soft,pliable flesh. Is the only way to get it off the rock itself to cut a big section of the rock off?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question regarding this. My mummy eye has a very soft,pliable flesh. Is the only way to get it off the rock itself to cut a big section of the rock off?
You may be able to use a scalpel/razor blade underneath to seperate it, but very likely you will cause a lot of damage.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to use a scalpel/razor blade underneath to seperate it, but very likely you will cause a lot of damage.
So it would probably be wiser to cut my massive toadstool leather off the rock, and sell the rock. The chalice has started to grow up it's stalk? The leathers base is probably 2" thick with a dinner plate size top.

This is why I love this site

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would probably be wiser to cut my massive toadstool leather off the rock, and sell the rock. The chalice has started to grow up it's stalk? The leathers base is probably 2" thick with a dinner plate size top.

This is why I love this site

I would say that would have a much higher rate of success. Generally leathers can easily be cut off at the base and be just fine(it can take some time and be a pain to get them to attach to a new rock though)

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that would have a much higher rate of success. Generally leathers can easily be cut off at the base and be just fine(it can take some time and be a pain to get them to attach to a new rock though)
Yeah, I've fragged these a bunch from my nano tank, just not this large of one. Sometimes I can get superglue/rubber band to work long enough for them to grow to the rock/plug. That or I'll sell as a combo rock, except my photon clowns are being hosted by the leather. What sucks is it's on a nice piece of rock. Oh well, it's just life rock and I keep more in a box.

Back