Fragging zoas & palys

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've never fragged anything before and I've watched numerous videos on fragging tonight, but what I've watched isn't answering my question.

So here goes. I have 2 things I'd like to frag:
1) a large rock covered in watermelon zoas, probably 100+. They have taken over the rock & are working their way around a green cap monti I have growing off the side.
2) I have 2 rocks covered in wild caught, large polyp green palys (I assume). they are about an inch or so across, maybe a touch more. The rocks are totally covered and there is no more room for anything to grow (each rock is the size of a softball, without the palys.

I don't want to chip away rock from either of these, how do I frag the zoas or palys off? Can I just use an exacto & cut them at their base?

(I will have gloves on, new exacto blades, over a bowl, not the tank & glue them to plugs)

thx!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety glasses are a must as well. Can't help with the rest but tagging along to find out :)

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taggin along because last few times i fragged zoas i lost most of them. Some high end ones too!!

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to use a razor and chisel just a little bit of the rock, right under the polyp. Sometimes if you can cut all its connection to the others you can pull of groups without touching the rock at all

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procedure after cutting? Do you need to have frag plugs pre soaked? Do you dip the frags after cutting. Where do you place frag after in tank?

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack, but I'm new to Reefing... Why are glasses a must? If using a band saw I would totally see why, but if using a razor to cut them, glasses should still be worn? Curious...

If they squirt. Which they do. And it gets you in the eye you could die from palytoxin poisoning or go blind

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Wether airborne or a direct juice squirt you will get sick or worse. I usually wear latex gloves and glasses when fragging then and try not to inhale if fragging in close quarters. I got sick once from breathing during fragging and actually caught a fever and felt nauseous. Be safe is key. I soak for a couple of minutes with iodine afterwards as well to give them a better chance of survival. Just my 2 cents

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I do fragging of zoas or palys. Safety goggles, exacto knife, surgical gloves, and a dust mask. You can go a little ghetto and put 2 layers of paper towels over your nose and mouth. Use an elastic band or woman's head band around your head to hold the paper towels in place.
If you want to help with the prevention of squirting of the paly toxin. Scrape with an exacto blade underneath their soft fleshy encrusting of the rock in some tank water in a bowl. Don't dump the water back in the tank when done! Take tiny dab of your gel glue. Put that on the frag plug or frag rock. Make sure you have the frag/polyp side up. Use some tweezers to grab the polyp(s). Place the soft encrusting side on top of the glue. Place it in the water and let the glue set.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back