OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following for sure, this will be a good thread to see which grows faster, horizontal or vertical mount. Keep us posted.
So yesterday I chopped it up, it was very small to begin with but I only paid 10$ for it. One small piece is vertical and the other is horizontal, I have them right next to each other. If they grow I will give an update.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple nubs, time will tell. I also did it to another small frag that wasn't growing just encrusting the plug. Time will tell if they start to grow.

IMG_0334.JPG

Szigedi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I wondered about that but I had no way to test it out. I still intend to test it out one day when I get a green slimer since I hear they grow fast.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did it to another long term inhabitant that was not growing, it did encrust the plug it came on though unlike thr other stick. Chopped off the stick and glued it on its side.
20180302_163705.jpg
20180302_163752.jpg

Bullnose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to bounce another theory off you guys. What about the plug itself? Zoas in my tank have taken over an area the size of a football. Almost a nuisance choking out slow growing spa. Yet you can clearly see the white frag plug where I originally mounted them. It seems they never really take off till they make it off the plug. I have a psammocora frag that's done nothing for over a year. Going to try cutting it off the frag or maybe leaning it against some rockwork and see what happens. It seems like the OP have encrusted the plug. Obviously possible to do but I'm starting to suspect it's a demanding task for some corals and maybe dependent on the type of plug . When they encrust the plug too sometimes they have to grow underneath the plug or bridge a short gap to make it to the rockwork.

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it on the Walt Disney couple weeks back, noticed the base start to encrust more than normal. Got this idea from Garf.org they have an article on producing more axial coralites on Acropora by mounting them a specific way and pruning the coral at certain points.
379D8A2B-B4E7-4F84-98EE-8C3D30499993.jpeg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it on the Walt Disney couple weeks back, noticed the base start to encrust more than normal. Got this idea from Garf.org they have an article on producing more axial coralites on Acropora by mounting them a specific way and pruning the coral at certain points.
379D8A2B-B4E7-4F84-98EE-8C3D30499993.jpeg
Too funy.

This is exactly what you do when you trim the leader (topmost branch tip) of a tree to get it to bush out more.

Lay a long rose cane horizontally (peg it back to the ground near the tip, mostly on old varieties, not hybrid teas) to induce dormant buds along the length of the cane to sprout new growth (and more profuse flowering).

Nature is awesome.

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funy.

This is exactly what you do when you trim the leader (topmost branch tip) of a tree to get it to bush out more.

Lay a long rose cane horizontally (peg it back to the ground near the tip, mostly on old varieties, not hybrid teas) to induce dormant buds along the length of the cane to sprout new growth (and more profuse flowering).

Nature is awesome.
They say reefing is underwater gardening lol...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back