• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what everyone thought about the light setups at fragswaps. At past swaps i've been to, a lot of people run actinic or very close to actinic. of course everything looks amazing under actinic. Would you prefer to buy corals under normal lights or actinics?

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a 20k light would be good. But I prefer actinics all the way.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer normal daytime lighting.At BAYMAC I noticed the actinic only thing going on but all you have to do is ask and vendors had no problem flippin the switch for normal lighting.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few frag swaps i've been at was nearly 100% led's on the corals. They make the colors come out much better than anything else out there. If not an option i'd go with a 20k look mh.

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i go to a LOT of swaps ... i dont like buying from an actinic lit tank. it makes the buy disappointing when you get it home and put in a PROPERLY lit system. just my $.02

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a personal preference. As long as they do flip on the daylights for you, that gives you the best of both worlds.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've seen vendors with both options (ie they keep the blue lights on, but if you ask, they will turn on the daylight lights too).

I

inactive

View Badges
i go to a LOT of swaps ... i dont like buying from an actinic lit tank. it makes the buy disappointing when you get it home and put in a PROPERLY lit system. just my $.02

Define "properly lit system." Don't get me wrong here, but I think proper would be emulating the natural sun.. which in the case of reef keeping would display a lot of brown corals. We utilize the blue technology to enhance the look of the corals. Even a 10k is "enhanced" from what you would see in the ocean. Have you ever noticed the most colorful corals still attached in the reefs are non photosynthetic? Some people are into natural beauty, but I like to see my coral like they are going out to find their soul mate... me.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I run my tank very blue, I like to see the corals glow at swaps as well. Properly lit system...oh boy!

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, let me rephrase that ...

a system lit to your personal preference and the corals liking. i have noticed that at the last few swaps ive been to, the corals in actinic lit tanks seem a little less than happy when compared to the ones in a full spectrum light.

I

inactive

View Badges
lol, let me rephrase that ...

a system lit to your personal preference and the corals liking. i have noticed that at the last few swaps ive been to, the corals in actinic lit tanks seem a little less than happy when compared to the ones in a full spectrum light.

When viewing a coral at a swap that may take a few days to open...

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe ive just been lucky then, 90% of the time or more when i bring a frag home from a swap ... its open within hours or the next day.

FWIW ... if i sell at a swap, i run the same 150w DE phoenix halides that i run an my frag and display tanks. (dont mind my sig, the T5 switch hasnt happened yet, lol)

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright. so here's my gameplan. I'm going to run t5 actinics with powerbrites and then if people ask I'm going to turn on the mh. It'll help keep down on the heat also! Thanks for the responses.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back