Frammer and Frogspawn not as open

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Frammer and Frogspawn seem more small and frumpy. I’ve had them for a few months and they used to be so open and lush. Recently I have been moving them around a bit as I rework some rock scape so not sure if that has affected them.

I’ve tried placing them in different flows but can’t seem to get them to open fully anymore.

Should I be feeding them something? My parameters are :

Alk: 9.5
Phos: .03 ppm
Nitrate: 12.9 ppm

Nitrates have gone up a bit over the last few months. Should I get them down? What’s the best way?

Thanks in advance!

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, moving them around bugs them. Have you turned up your lights lately? They're generally not a fan of that either. They will like those nitrates, nothing to worry about. Post a picture if you can.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Frammer and Frogspawn seem more small and frumpy. I’ve had them for a few months and they used to be so open and lush. Recently I have been moving them around a bit as I rework some rock scape so not sure if that has affected them.

I’ve tried placing them in different flows but can’t seem to get them to open fully anymore.

Nitrates have gone up a bit over the last few months. Should I get them down? What’s the best way?

Thanks in advance!
PO4 is a tad low for your alk, imo.

Cal?
Mag?
Flow?
Par?
Tank age?
Before/after pics?
Flesh receeding?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks in advance!
Your nitrates are fine. Do you have other parameters (Ca, Mg, salinity, etc)? Are you sure your tests are accurate (i.e. double checked)? Your lights? Your flow? Generally speaking, every time you move a coral - it may not open as completely as it gets used to its 'new place' and 'new neighbors'. So - to answer your question - I do think you're moving them around a bit too much, and that could be causing the issues you're seeing.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of the frammer in the most open state it gets everyday. At night it closes up, but then only opens up this much.
IMG_1160.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of the frammer in the most open state it gets everyday. At night it closes up, but then only opens up this much.
IMG_1160.jpeg
The flesh bands, of the ones I can see look good. That indicates good health. It’s nor for them to close at night.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh bands, of the ones I can see look good. That indicates good health. It’s nor for them to close at night.
That’s good. For months though this one and another one in the tank would open huge. Lately they only open this much. Can you think of anything that might cause that?

Only thing I did recently was glue it to the rock instead of just sticking it in a hole.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have received some great advice. As brought up before, it’s important to know what your calcium and magnesium are. If you don’t have a test kit get one. There was a time mine began to look unhappy and my magnesium and calcium were below optimum. I thought my weekly water changes was handling it as it had previously for sixteen years but I have five times the lps and a couple sps so now I’m dosing. They seem to like slightly higher magnesium and I try to keep mine above 1400.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have received some great advice. As brought up before, it’s important to know what your calcium and magnesium are. If you don’t have a test kit get one. There was a time mine began to look unhappy and my magnesium and calcium were below optimum. I thought my weekly water changes was handling it as it had previously for sixteen years but I have five times the lps and a couple sps so now I’m dosing. They seem to like slightly higher magnesium and I try to keep mine above 1400.
So it looks like my frogspawn has gotten even worse. Some of heads appear to have died. My levels are still testing around the same as above: Here are the current readings, anything I can do??

Nitrate 13.6
Phos .04
Alk 9.5

Calcium 380
Mg - will be purchasing checker tomorrow

IMG_1299.jpeg

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If things are not moving in the right direction, which it seems they are not, I would try a dip like revive or coral rx. there are little euphoria worms that tick these guys off. I did it to mine which had the same issues your do, a bunch of little critters came off, and they seem to be opening more, albeit slowly.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with an established tank that hasn’t had any new fish/inverts added? Happy to give it a shot, just curious.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like my frogspawn has gotten even worse. Some of heads appear to have died. My levels are still testing around the same as above: Here are the current readings, anything I can do??

Nitrate 13.6
Phos .04
Alk 9.5

Calcium 380
Mg - will be purchasing checker tomorrow

IMG_1299.jpeg
This hobby can be so frustrating! Calcium is still on the lower side. Bump it up to 450. I have a strong feeling your magnesium is going to be low when you test it tomorrow. If it is you’ll need to bump it up. The sweet spot will be 1400 or higher.

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with an established tank that hasn’t had any new fish/inverts added? Happy to give it a shot, just curious.
Yeah… id Imagine that it might take some time for the parasites to find and then grow on the coral. tbh, I don’t know their life cycle it can tell you it seemed to help mine

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be so frustrating! Calcium is still on the lower side. Bump it up to 450. I have a strong feeling your magnesium is going to be low when you test it tomorrow. If it is you’ll need to bump it up. The sweet spot will be 1400 or higher.
My mg was 1110. So I should increase to 1400?

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye or even a little higher. Mine sits at 1400 and I struggle to get it any higher consistently.
Ok sounds good. I am using Red Sea magnesium. Using a calculator it is suggesting about 800ml for my 90 gallon. I planning on adding about 20ml a day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back