Free corals ?

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wondering if anyone has any coral or are going to be trimming down some of there coral in their tanks and would be willing to give me some to add to my new pico tank I made. Before I get these reefer snobs saying I’m only asking for free corals. I’m only asking for nps or softies toadstool , Xenia , mushrooms doesn’t have to be euphyllia or acans or any rare ones that probably cost half someones stimi check

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it is i figured I just ask since the kind I’m looking for the pico are more considered nuisance corals I figured maybe someone on her would bite seeing I see some people talking on r2r about just throwing what they trim away in trash

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus my local Lfs is kinda overpriced because he knows he has no more comp dude wants fifty bucks for 6 line I can go laxaquarium and get it for 20 just that I never go that far. Also doesn’t have to much variety when it comes to corals

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn't expect much. It's not an insignificant amount of work to get something packaged up and shipped out, especially if someone isn't in the habit of shipping already. Frag the coral, adhere it to a plug, let it heal up for a few days, prep the package, bag the coral, package it, tape it up, weigh it for postage, create a label, and take it down to the shipper. It's a lot more work to do that than it is to just trim back an overgrown coral and toss the excess in the garbage. Some people would be willing to do all that for nothing but goodwill, but most people will want some compensation for their work.

Additionally, I think you underestimate how much shipping actually costs. Most of the online coral vendors get price breaks because of their volumes, and on top of that they'll usually eat a portion of those costs in the hopes that the profits from your order will cover what they eat. For a regular person to ship overnight, you can expect shipping costs to be $40-$50. The only 'affordable' overnight option is USPS Priority, but it's not a guaranteed service and can often take 2-3 days to arrive; sometimes corals can survive that, but not always, and I wouldn't count on it from someone who's just throwing something in a box for free.

You'll have far more luck trying to snag freebies if you find local reefers and simply pick the corals up from them - it eliminates most of the hassle, especially if you can bring your own bags.

Alternately, @uniquecorals is also in Cali, and they have some of the most reasonable shipping costs in the business. I wouldn't say they have a massive selection of low-cost corals, but there's still a decent amount if you just want some life in your tank. $25 for regular overnight shipping and just $150 for free shipping. Pick up 5 $30 corals and you'll have a pretty good start for a good pico tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Ventura County as well. I've got a little rock of red and purple discos and a little zoa colony, maybe some gsp you are welcome to pick up. Could cut you a piece of sinularia as well if you want but it wouldn't be bonded to the plug yet. That takes a few weeks.

Feel free to pm me.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn't expect much. It's not an insignificant amount of work to get something packaged up and shipped out, especially if someone isn't in the habit of shipping already. Frag the coral, adhere it to a plug, let it heal up for a few days, prep the package, bag the coral, package it, tape it up, weigh it for postage, create a label, and take it down to the shipper. It's a lot more work to do that than it is to just trim back an overgrown coral and toss the excess in the garbage. Some people would be willing to do all that for nothing but goodwill, but most people will want some compensation for their work.

Additionally, I think you underestimate how much shipping actually costs. Most of the online coral vendors get price breaks because of their volumes, and on top of that they'll usually eat a portion of those costs in the hopes that the profits from your order will cover what they eat. For a regular person to ship overnight, you can expect shipping costs to be $40-$50. The only 'affordable' overnight option is USPS Priority, but it's not a guaranteed service and can often take 2-3 days to arrive; sometimes corals can survive that, but not always, and I wouldn't count on it from someone who's just throwing something in a box for free.

You'll have far more luck trying to snag freebies if you find local reefers and simply pick the corals up from them - it eliminates most of the hassle, especially if you can bring your own bags.

Alternately, @uniquecorals is also in Cali, and they have some of the most reasonable shipping costs in the business. I wouldn't say they have a massive selection of low-cost corals, but there's still a decent amount if you just want some life in your tank. $25 for regular overnight shipping and just $150 for free shipping. Pick up 5 $30 corals and you'll have a pretty good start for a good pico tank.
It’s not that I underestimate anything I just don’t like to give my money

it not that I’m really underestimating anything maybe you overlooked what I had replied to someone my lfs doesn’t offer anything besides multiples of the same frag. Maybe because it’s not worth while to you to frag something out of goodwill like you said maybe someone will the point was to just get some variety in there other than what my lfs offer without paying a hefty price when I stated earlier there people on here that trim down their corals and simply trash it

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Ventura County as well. I've got a little rock of red and purple discos and a little zoa colony, maybe some gsp you are welcome to pick up. Could cut you a piece of sinularia as well if you want but it wouldn't be bonded to the plug yet. That takes a few weeks.

Feel free to pm me.
I don’t know how to use this site to well yet but I would be more than happy to take some off your hands I made a pico for my gf and she really wants some stuff in it I just thought one man’s trash can be another’s treasure right!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hang outside your LFS on Saturdays flying a sign:

james corden sign spinner GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Heatherhigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were closer I have some cheap zoas and leathers you could have but I’m all the way in Florida haha I don’t think the shipping would be worth it.

Nano15g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wondering if anyone has any coral or are going to be trimming down some of there coral in their tanks and would be willing to give me some to add to my new pico tank I made. Before I get these reefer snobs saying I’m only asking for free corals. I’m only asking for nps or softies toadstool , Xenia , mushrooms doesn’t have to be euphyllia or acans or any rare ones that probably cost half someones stimi check
I have Kenya tree let me know im in Poughkeepsie ny

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back