Free PAR meter? Photone App.

avianman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using these instructions and it doesn’t go back once I calibrate the first time. Also it gives an insanely higher number with the bag on. I don’t get it.

Yeah - most of the posts on here either didn't read the instructions or they tried it before instructions were printed. I get it, we are all excited to try it, but if you don't set it up correctly it won't give correct readings.

To clear a few things up -

This app is very accurate for measuring PAR, even underwater. The problem is that you need to calibrate it first to your bag, and then adjust to account for the water (1.32).

Here are the instructions again: Photone App adjustments for reef measurements

Everyone's plastic bags are going to be different, which is why you must calibrate the measurements for whatever bag you are using first and then adjust by using the immersion effect correction factor of 1.32

You must use the diffuser.
Even if your light has a diffuser on it. You are measuring the par coming through the diffuser, which is being considered, so even if your light has 10 diffusers, you still need to add a diffuser that is made from 80gsm printer paper. That's basic printer/copier paper. No, you can't use something else unless you are going to recalibrate.

You can't change the order of that procedure - that will change the results.

You must place the phone in the exact same place, and hold the phone at the exact same level, in order to calibrate. This is true for all par meters, but especially true because of the way the camera is on the phone. Tilt the phone 15 degrees and you will get a different reading. That's how the light works.

Yes, you must select the light source, and LED lighting has three options - full spectrum, Red/Blue, and White/Blue. They are an additional $5.99 each, but once you buy that you get it forever. You CAN pay $29.99 for the "pro" version and get all of it unlocked for a year. Pro settings also allow you to disable hold mode.

So far, no one has selected white/blue for their measurements, which is interesting. Yes, our white lights are full spectrum but I have yet to meet a reefer who isn't adding some sort of additional blue lighting.

Here's the thing - you can't "just try and do it using the 'sun' selection instead of paying $5.99 for the LED selection"
You can't "just try it without the diffuser"
You can't "Just do it without converting" or "do it without calibrating"

All of these things change the results, but it isn't a uniform change (say - off by exactly 20) but rather, an exponential change, which means one may read 1000 PAR at the surface pre-calibrated but 600 PAR at the surface before calibration.

If you follow the instructions, you will have a PAR meter in your pocket for either $30/year or $6 if you want to go cheap.

In my readings, the app was accurate within 5% of the apogee MQ-510 par meter.

Remember - this was developed by and for cannabis growers - the only people more dedicated than reefers to their lighting!

Just as an FYI - I grow plumeria as a hobby. Plumeria is a fascinating plant that grows in tropical environments. Since I live in zone 6b, I have to use artificial lighting (full spectrum - no added blues!) to grow my plumeria. I need 800-1000 PAR to get them to flower, so I need a good par meter. I use this app because it is easy and fast and accurate - if you use it right :)

Good luck!

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did figure it out finally and was pretty impressed. Par was within 10-20 on what we had mapped out with the rented par meter. Which really is nothing and could be the position differences.

Definitely worth the $6 and tedious setup!!

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hung the lights off the side of the tank. From what I saw on BRS it didn't matter if the tank had water in it or not???
Maybe I remember wrong. anyway, at this point I only need a rough idea. I did take to lfs and compare to theirs, pretty spot on "out of the box"...
I should probably do a comprehensive video with a "real" par meter. perhaps I'll rent one when I can afford more coral!! :cool:

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - most of the posts on here either didn't read the instructions or they tried it before instructions were printed. I get it, we are all excited to try it, but if you don't set it up correctly it won't give correct readings.

To clear a few things up -

This app is very accurate for measuring PAR, even underwater. The problem is that you need to calibrate it first to your bag, and then adjust to account for the water (1.32).

Here are the instructions again: Photone App adjustments for reef measurements

Everyone's plastic bags are going to be different, which is why you must calibrate the measurements for whatever bag you are using first and then adjust by using the immersion effect correction factor of 1.32

You must use the diffuser.
Even if your light has a diffuser on it. You are measuring the par coming through the diffuser, which is being considered, so even if your light has 10 diffusers, you still need to add a diffuser that is made from 80gsm printer paper. That's basic printer/copier paper. No, you can't use something else unless you are going to recalibrate.

You can't change the order of that procedure - that will change the results.

You must place the phone in the exact same place, and hold the phone at the exact same level, in order to calibrate. This is true for all par meters, but especially true because of the way the camera is on the phone. Tilt the phone 15 degrees and you will get a different reading. That's how the light works.

Yes, you must select the light source, and LED lighting has three options - full spectrum, Red/Blue, and White/Blue. They are an additional $5.99 each, but once you buy that you get it forever. You CAN pay $29.99 for the "pro" version and get all of it unlocked for a year. Pro settings also allow you to disable hold mode.

So far, no one has selected white/blue for their measurements, which is interesting. Yes, our white lights are full spectrum but I have yet to meet a reefer who isn't adding some sort of additional blue lighting.

Here's the thing - you can't "just try and do it using the 'sun' selection instead of paying $5.99 for the LED selection"
You can't "just try it without the diffuser"
You can't "Just do it without converting" or "do it without calibrating"

All of these things change the results, but it isn't a uniform change (say - off by exactly 20) but rather, an exponential change, which means one may read 1000 PAR at the surface pre-calibrated but 600 PAR at the surface before calibration.

If you follow the instructions, you will have a PAR meter in your pocket for either $30/year or $6 if you want to go cheap.

In my readings, the app was accurate within 5% of the apogee MQ-510 par meter.

Remember - this was developed by and for cannabis growers - the only people more dedicated than reefers to their lighting!

Just as an FYI - I grow plumeria as a hobby. Plumeria is a fascinating plant that grows in tropical environments. Since I live in zone 6b, I have to use artificial lighting (full spectrum - no added blues!) to grow my plumeria. I need 800-1000 PAR to get them to flower, so I need a good par meter. I use this app because it is easy and fast and accurate - if you use it right :)

Good luck!

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I read the white paper on the site to calibrate, everything is straight forward except the second calibration step, can someone shed some light on this step please.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I’m confused, the second calibration we have an option for pseudo value what is this number ? And the second is the Actual light measure I’m going to assume is with the bag over the phone and the last step is pretty staring by forward multiple the Actual Light X 1.32. But the the heck’s is this Psuedo Value ?

one more thing Do we choose LUX or PPFD option when calibrating …. Sorry for all the questions but for people that do t know to much about light would be great if it was written a bit more detailed.
Thank you
4BA181B1-2AB0-48B9-8097-A32ED2A5075A.png

Last edited:

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the white blue led. Put diffuser on and light measured 700 right above the surface. I’m going to mess with it more tomorrow outside of tank push my lights out a bit but keeping them level. To me it’s probably pretty accurate if I’m using it right.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t recalibrate or measure any light to input anywhere. I just put the diffuser on and measured outside the tank. Did I do that correctly? You only have to recalibrate if you put in a plastic bag and water right?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t recalibrate or measure any light to input anywhere. I just put the diffuser on and measured outside the tank. Did I do that correctly? You only have to recalibrate if you put in a plastic bag and water right?
I would assume is intended for that. Waiting and see if anyone can give you and me a better answer. I stuck trying to calibrate …
I did learn today you have to
I reached out to them, and asked them that question, if you not using it in the water does calibration is needed, and I sent some steps that I understood to calibrate so they can confirm I'm doing it correct... I will update you tomorrow hopefully.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i tried android beta version.....

With rs90, 25cm above water, i got:

Full spectrum -250 par
White and blue - 500par

This is just reading at the water level, didnt try under water.

Why so huge difference between full spectrum and white/blue?

This specific light is to my understanding white-blue (one mayor blue channel, one second blue, white and final chanel is some teal-greenish)...

Reading from w/b matches manufacturers claims of 500par at water level. Of course, without actual underwater measuring its hard to tell anything, but it makes me wonder.....

How much impact does water have in readings? Using math (wich can be very wrong approach), and if above measuring is correct, then if i assume that manufacturers claim of "150par 60cm underwater" is also correct, then i need to set my light ls at 50%, to achieve 70-ish par on bottom for softies.....

Of course i know that its not that simple, but, it makes me wonder....

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just downloaded the android beta version... will give it a shot later today when my lights ramp up.

The android version appears totally free. maybe while its just in beta stage??
didn't need to purchase anything and it also doesn't need a diffuser/paper filter unlike the IOS versions.

will play with it tonight. I have a couple lights I'd like to test it out on. Viparspectra 300w and a couple Smat Farm lights.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it appears to be free with all modules.....
Also do you do any calibration when using it above water ? The App is free but if you want the LED Full Spectrum and the Blue /White is 5.99 each which if it works like they say is a great investment.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you do any calibration when using it above water ? The App is free but if you want the LED Full Spectrum and the Blue /White is 5.99 each which if it works like they say is a great investment.
At least for now, all the spectrums are included in the Android app version for free. no need to purchase any of them. The android version appears to give you the Pro version with full access to all spectrums.

Only the IOS version requires you to buy the various spectrum modules individually.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back