Free PAR meter? Photone App.

BRS

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I was also going to ask if you calibrated it but I also wanted to get clarification on two things you said:
1. What do you mean you paid for the led setting? Is that an extra light feature that can be purchased for the app? If so is there a page that talks about the extras?
2. What paper diffuser? I feel like I might've missed reading some instructions.

Thanks for testing this
the led par meter is $6 and you have to wrap a piece of paper around the front camera.

After calibration it’s around 300 par in the same spot. I need to find an actual par meter to compare. I’m just having trouble keeping it from going into hold mode while in the water.

Maxout

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
the led par meter is $6 and you have to wrap a piece of paper around the front camera.

After calibration it’s around 300 par in the same spot. I need to find an actual par meter to compare. I’m just having trouble keeping it from going into hold mode while in the water.
Take a piece of cardboard or something and put it on the phone. Cover the bottom part of your touch screen so the bag doesn't touch the screen.

Karen00

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Is that an led par meter to use with the Photone app? If so do you have a link to buy? I haven't heard of this before.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This app is pretty cool. I tested 280 par at the water level, kinda low. My SPS are colored but growth is really slow. I’m going to lower my lights slowly over a few weeks to bring it up. I wasn’t brave enough to use the baggy and calibrate for it. $6 to use the LED full spectrum PAR sensor. It’s fair I think.

Avast

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Take a piece of cardboard or something and put it on the phone. Cover the bottom part of your touch screen so the bag doesn't touch the screen.
That’s an amazing idea. I’ll have to try that tomorrow when I get out of work. Thank you.

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Adding my experience here:

Downloaded the app, bought the full spectrum. Calibrated it. Used a ziplock bag with the paper diffuser. PAR was MUCH lower than I thought, which is making me reevaluate my light settings. The very top of the water was a max of about 125. At the sand bed, was peaking around 30!!! I'm running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid, with 4 T5's and two Kessil A360x's at a max intensity of about 80. ( I tested at the highest intensity point in the schedule).

That almost doesn't sound possible. I'm going to raise my Kessils by 5 INT for the next week or two and see how things respond.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Adding my experience here:

Downloaded the app, bought the full spectrum. Calibrated it. Used a ziplock bag with the paper diffuser. PAR was MUCH lower than I thought, which is making me reevaluate my light settings. The very top of the water was a max of about 125. At the sand bed, was peaking around 30!!! I'm running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid, with 4 T5's and two Kessil A360x's at a max intensity of about 80. ( I tested at the highest intensity point in the schedule).

That almost doesn't sound possible. I'm going to raise my Kessils by 5 INT for the next week or two and see how things respond.
How do your corals look? Do they look like they need more light?

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How do your corals look? Do they look like they need more light?
Just did a tank transfer since I moved about 4 months ago, but coral aren't really doing all that well. There's some PE on the torch, gorgonian, and some LPS encrusting coral, but none are looking 100%. Duncan has recently gone completely in and looked like it lost all it's flesh. But I've always dealt with high PO4 (~1), and so I usually just contribute it to that, but with more and more tanks I see operating perfectly with high phosphate levels, I'm not so sure anymore.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
let us know how it goes.
I final made a cover to go over the screen so it wouldn’t go into hold mode. Thinking I might make something a little more convenient so I don’t have to keep stuffing it into bag when I want to use it. Not sure how accurate it is but seems pretty good to me. Under the hydra 32 I’m getting about 290-300 6 inches under the surface. Light is about 9 inches off the water. Under the 16hd I’m getting roughly 50 at the substrate which is what I figured it would be.

519C6522-D93D-40F9-9F11-33850430918E.jpeg

Carlos Borges

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Anyone used the free setting "sun" to meassure their lights PAR?
Is it going to be atleast "close" to accurate as if you were measuring with the full spectrum LED paid settings?
I took a reading of the Sun...it gave me about 900-1000 PAR at 11:30am(winter here)...then I meassured my tank lights(hibrid t5 + LED) with this same "Sun" setting and it gave me around 650 PAR at the surface of my tank...
can anyone do a test with the Photone on "Sun" under ther lights and post the results please?

BRS

DO YOU CARE WHAT THE CORDS AND CABLES LOOK LIKE AROUND YOUR REEF TANK?

• YES

Votes: 265 58.1%
  • NO

Votes: 34 7.5%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 151 33.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.3%
Reef Breeders