JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was the LUX meter I used when I did this
Lux Meter
I think I have to agree I would rather pay $18 on amazon then trying to negotiate my phone in a bag. I assume you wrapped the Lux in a ziplock? Did you calibrate or use a Coefficient like the Photone did with the 1.32 number? Curious to get it dialed in bc I will prob go this route.

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be part of the reason why BRS and Marine Depot stopped their par meter rental program. As someone without a lot of options for equipment swapping and the like this arrived just in time. Thanks for posting this. Tip of the freaking year arrived in May.
Aw noooo I’ve been waiting to be notified for when it’s next available :(

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you using plastic bags, I wonder how vacuum sealing a phone would go. Although since the plastic I have isn't exactly clear (it's slightly frosted), it may skew the results.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have to agree I would rather pay $18 on amazon then trying to negotiate my phone in a bag. I assume you wrapped the Lux in a ziplock? Did you calibrate or use a Coefficient like the Photone did with the 1.32 number? Curious to get it dialed in bc I will prob go this route.
Nope I just stuck in a zip lock. Tried to make it tight as possible over the sensor so wouldn't mess with the reading. Set it at the x100 setting and stuck it in the water.
The way I figured out my numbers is I had the apogee I rented from brs and just did a calculation of the lux that was matching the apogee. That's how I got to divide lux by 30. It may not be perfect but it gets you in a ball park for under $20.

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I just stuck in a zip lock. Tried to make it tight as possible over the sensor so wouldn't mess with the reading. Set it at the x100 setting and stuck it in the water.
The way I figured out my numbers is I had the apogee I rented from brs and just did a calculation of the lux that was matching the apogee. That's how I got to divide lux by 30. It may not be perfect but it gets you in a ball park for under $20.
I posted earlier that apogee has a light conversion app. I wrapped my Amazon lux meter sensor with plastic cling wrap and rubberband and then used the app to convert to par... However I don't have a comparison to how accurate it is. but do want to ťry this app as comparison.

Dwdrummer41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue where every time I put the bag in the water it would lock in the hold on the screen. So I wasn’t able to get a reading.

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shanzfish - your BRS skills were better than mine. I found what you are talking about: wet tested par meter. Little different than than 5 or 7 day rental I had been looking for. Looks like it is essentially a purchase with a liberal 60 day return policy.
Thanks for making me dig deeper!

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my preliminary tests it did not work very well under higher PAR on the water surface.

I bought the LED full spectrum reader option and tested it against Apex par monitor.

I did not use a diffuser under the phone, but my lights have a diffuser right under them.

My lights: 1 hydra 64, 2 primes HD (2 T5 turned off for testing).

Tested on the peak, this is my ramp:

6707B5AA-E681-4FE5-AAB2-A81B56FA1D49.jpeg

This is my setup:
A41538B0-E1BD-49E2-93B1-94C1E5FB81E6.jpeg

3694E531-F22E-4B6D-AEE8-EF06AF80D901.jpeg

This was my fists test (as said, no diffuser on the phone but one present right under the light), I’ll try to perform what the app calls calibration and retest.

FBD7B0F4-C005-4C23-8AF1-287917D8A8AB.png

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
650 par at surface under Orphek v4 at 80% ch2 and ch3 , i have not calibrated yet but wanted a quick test as i am waiting on a waterproof bag/cover as only just got the phone.
DSC_7827 650par.JPG

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick comparison and reference
650 par at surface under Orphek v4 at 80% ch2 and ch3 , i have not calibrated yet but wanted a quick test as i am waiting on a waterproof bag/cover as only just got the phone.
DSC_7827 650par.JPG

with same lights a guy using apogee and a full breakdown of par levels he is reading 933par at 100% all channels at the surface.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR0jCv7eZOA

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is the only hobby where someone would consider potentially destroying their phone a brilliant idea. Go for it!
Not sure you would. I mean these days majority of the phones out there are at least IP67 rating. That means they are submersible up to 3feet for 30min.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick comparison and reference

with same lights a guy using apogee and a full breakdown of par levels he is reading 933par at 100% all channels at the surface.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR0jCv7eZOA
Well, those numbers would put this app at ~813 PAR at the surface, and that's only with CH2 and CH3 at 100%. I'd say that's pretty darn close, especially considering it's not all channels at 100%. I'm not quite sold on the app, but that's not too shabby.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my preliminary tests it did not work very well under higher PAR on the water surface.

I bought the LED full spectrum reader option and tested it against Apex par monitor.

I did not use a diffuser under the phone, but my lights have a diffuser right under them.

My lights: 1 hydra 64, 2 primes HD (2 T5 turned off for testing).

Tested on the peak, this is my ramp:

6707B5AA-E681-4FE5-AAB2-A81B56FA1D49.jpeg

This is my setup:
A41538B0-E1BD-49E2-93B1-94C1E5FB81E6.jpeg

3694E531-F22E-4B6D-AEE8-EF06AF80D901.jpeg

This was my fists test (as said, no diffuser on the phone but one present right under the light), I’ll try to perform what the app calls calibration and retest.

FBD7B0F4-C005-4C23-8AF1-287917D8A8AB.png
I'd recommend giving it another shot with a diffuser. I have diffusers on my lights, too, but using the piece of printer paper, as recommended, gave a way different number. I'd really love to see your results.

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is this free app called Photone. It's used mostly by indoor gardeners to test PAR levels. This morning I had the brilliant idea to put my phone in a plastic bag and dunk it in my tank to see how it works. I'm currently waiting for my lights to ramp up so I can try it..
When I first got the idea like an hour ago I messaged the company on instagram to share my idea. Like all of my great ideas, someone already thought of it.. They responded right away with a recent blog they wrote up about this idea. And they even have some calibration tips. Here is a link to their blog: https://growlightmeter.com/underwater-par-measurementsWhat a great idea!

Here is an Android app.....
Thanks

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it by vacuum sealing my phone with the paper as diffuser and the calibration they recommend. I had par readings done a few months ago of my T5s alone and with the LEDs I no longer have the LEDs so I can’t compare that but I did compare the T5 readings.

The app read 5-10 par less than the apogee. I could say this might be because bulbs are getting a bit older or even the app is not as accurate as apogee but tbh it doesn’t really matter 5-10 difference is nothing so I give this app 2 thumbs up!

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it by vacuum sealing my phone with the paper as diffuser and the calibration they recommend.
I just did the same and the readings seem reasonable to me, comparing the XR15 G5s with the BRS tests. I figure its close enough and better than me just guessing.

After I got wet to my elbows I realized I could use a selfie stick . . .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back