Free PAR meter? Photone App.

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be part of the reason why BRS and Marine Depot stopped their par meter rental program. As someone without a lot of options for equipment swapping and the like this arrived just in time. Thanks for posting this. Tip of the freaking year arrived in May.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is this free app called Photone. It's used mostly by indoor gardeners to test PAR levels. This morning I had the brilliant idea to put my phone in a plastic bag and dunk it in my tank to see how it works. I'm currently waiting for my lights to ramp up so I can try it..
When I first got the idea like an hour ago I messaged the company on instagram to share my idea. Like all of my great ideas, someone already thought of it.. They responded right away with a recent blog they wrote up about this idea. And they even have some calibration tips. Here is a link to their blog: https://growlightmeter.com/underwater-par-measurements-for-reef-aquariums/
I likey A LOT!! :) Quick question though, is the app also on Android? I saw a member post a reply for an app called "PPFD Meter" by Home Studio Inc.? Is that the correct app?

The_Shrimper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likey A LOT!! :) Quick question though, is the app also on Android? I saw a member post a reply for an app called "PPFD Meter" by Home Studio Inc.? Is that the correct app?
The app is only for the apple products right now, but it says on their website that an android version is coming soon

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tired this and it worked for me. On another forum a guy rented the BRS PAR meter to test against this LUX meter. His readings came back +- 10lux on the 200,000 LUX meter mode. Divide the Lux reading by 30 and it was pretty much spot on with the BRS Apogee PAR number.

amazon Lux meter 18 bucks.

Leaton Digital Luxmeter/Digital Illuminance Light Meter lux meter with LCD Display(Range: 0.1~200,000 Lux Luxmeter, 0.01~20,000Fc)​

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tired this and it worked for me. On another forum a guy rented the BRS PAR meter to test against this LUX meter. His readings came back +- 10lux on the 200,000 LUX meter mode. Divide the Lux reading by 30 and it was pretty much spot on with the BRS Apogee PAR number.

amazon Lux meter 18 bucks.

Leaton Digital Luxmeter/Digital Illuminance Light Meter lux meter with LCD Display(Range: 0.1~200,000 Lux Luxmeter, 0.01~20,000Fc)​

Amazon has lots of Lux meters...some have a sensor on a coiled cord. It makes me wonder if I put the sensor in a plastic bag.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people curious about the diffuser:

1621946979203.png

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting... So I stumbled across this app from apogee that does lighting conversion. So I bought a corded Amazon lihht meter for $20-30 and saran wrapped the sensor.... I'm curious if this app is better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-093815_Light Unit Converter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-093815_Light Unit Converter.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 238

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back