Free PAR meter? Photone App.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon has lots of Lux meters...some have a sensor on a coiled cord. It makes me wonder if I put the sensor in a plastic bag.
Yes I used a ziplock bag. I will gladly risk 18 dollars in the bag but not my phone with saltwater. red are from the Apogee and the green are this particular 18 dollar LUX meter I posted above . Take care. Photo credit and source is J. Duboy

Rent or Borrow a PAR meter and im sure you can get the same results with any LUX meter

lux.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is this free app called Photone. It's used mostly by indoor gardeners to test PAR levels. This morning I had the brilliant idea to put my phone in a plastic bag and dunk it in my tank to see how it works. I'm currently waiting for my lights to ramp up so I can try it..
When I first got the idea like an hour ago I messaged the company on instagram to share my idea. Like all of my great ideas, someone already thought of it.. They responded right away with a recent blog they wrote up about this idea. And they even have some calibration tips. Here is a link to their blog: https://growlightmeter.com/underwater-par-measurements-for-reef-aquariums/
Wow. Thank you man! I read the article and downloaded the app. When I get home I will be using this. Before I read it I was happy with the idea of getting some ballpark numbers to work with. As, it turns out they are a very advanced group with a precise too and good , clear, step-by-step instructions. Huge help, thanks again!

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following this. Let us know how it works
Following
Following as well!
Following
following..
Following
following
Hey guys, it's common courtesy to use the watch button instead of clogging up a thread with comments that don't add value. You can learn more about accessing watched threads here or you can set up notifications. You can find the button at the top of the thread on the right-hand side:

1621960054277.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's common courtesy to use the watch button instead of clogging up a thread with comments that don't add value. You can learn more about accessing watched threads here or you can set up notifications. You can find the button at the top of the thread on the right-hand side:

1621960054277.png
Sorry dad

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1621960054277.png
Just for sanity’s sake.

Typing “following” is used for a dual purpose. Being as this is a pretty cool thread, it bumps the thread so other have a chance to see it and it allows for one to follow.

Just throwing that out there, as I know a few of the peps who “followed” and know they are also bumping it at the same time.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for sanity’s sake.

Typing “following” is used for a dual purpose. Being as this is a pretty cool thread, it bumps the thread so other have a chance to see it and it allows for one to follow.

Just throwing that out there, as I know a few of the peps who “followed” and know they are also bumping it at the same time.
Agreed. It also allows the OP to know that there are a group of people interested in the topic. Shaming those of us for doing so is just self engrandizing. If no one commented the thread would die.

Gho5t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who is testing this app... are you using the full spectrum LED setting?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just downloaded the app I just do not know what mode to purchase Red/Blue or Full spectrum so I would like to know what others are using.
Use full spectrum for reef lights. The Red/Blue is for plant grow LEDs that literally just have those colours, like my macro light.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used a ziplock bag. I will gladly risk 18 dollars in the bag but not my phone with saltwater. red are from the Apogee and the green are this particular 18 dollar LUX meter I posted above . Take care. Photo credit and source is J. Duboy

Rent or Borrow a PAR meter and im sure you can get the same results with any LUX meter

lux.jpeg
sweet

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely have to give this a try. Been wanting to see what my Noops are running at, but haven't wanted to invest in a PAR meter or deal with renting one.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I couldn't get anything close to what I was seeing with the Seneye. It was showing 90 where Seneye was showing 200ish. BRS did a video which provided some basic par readings and it might be good to see if anyone else has better luck

Gho5t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to give it a go... I don't have an actual PAR meter to compare it to but curious to see what results I get. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I couldn't get anything close to what I was seeing with the Seneye. It was showing 90 where Seneye was showing 200ish. BRS did a video which provided some basic par readings and it might be good to see if anyone else has better luck
FYI, I compared my Seneye PAR readings to an Apogee Quantum PAR meter about a month ago. The readings were almost exactly the same. So, for those that don't trust the Seneye readings, you should.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand if you don’t tell the OP you are following they don’t know if any one is interested. The follow button is to be notified when content is added.

That said, thanks to all of you who are breaking boundaries while some of us watch your success for later use. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back