Free PAR meter? Photone App.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also going to ask if you calibrated it but I also wanted to get clarification on two things you said:
1. What do you mean you paid for the led setting? Is that an extra light feature that can be purchased for the app? If so is there a page that talks about the extras?
2. What paper diffuser? I feel like I might've missed reading some instructions.

Thanks for testing this
the led par meter is $6 and you have to wrap a piece of paper around the front camera.

After calibration it’s around 300 par in the same spot. I need to find an actual par meter to compare. I’m just having trouble keeping it from going into hold mode while in the water.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the led par meter is $6 and you have to wrap a piece of paper around the front camera.

After calibration it’s around 300 par in the same spot. I need to find an actual par meter to compare. I’m just having trouble keeping it from going into hold mode while in the water.
Take a piece of cardboard or something and put it on the phone. Cover the bottom part of your touch screen so the bag doesn't touch the screen.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that an led par meter to use with the Photone app? If so do you have a link to buy? I haven't heard of this before.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This app is pretty cool. I tested 280 par at the water level, kinda low. My SPS are colored but growth is really slow. I’m going to lower my lights slowly over a few weeks to bring it up. I wasn’t brave enough to use the baggy and calibrate for it. $6 to use the LED full spectrum PAR sensor. It’s fair I think.

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding my experience here:

Downloaded the app, bought the full spectrum. Calibrated it. Used a ziplock bag with the paper diffuser. PAR was MUCH lower than I thought, which is making me reevaluate my light settings. The very top of the water was a max of about 125. At the sand bed, was peaking around 30!!! I'm running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid, with 4 T5's and two Kessil A360x's at a max intensity of about 80. ( I tested at the highest intensity point in the schedule).

That almost doesn't sound possible. I'm going to raise my Kessils by 5 INT for the next week or two and see how things respond.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding my experience here:

Downloaded the app, bought the full spectrum. Calibrated it. Used a ziplock bag with the paper diffuser. PAR was MUCH lower than I thought, which is making me reevaluate my light settings. The very top of the water was a max of about 125. At the sand bed, was peaking around 30!!! I'm running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid, with 4 T5's and two Kessil A360x's at a max intensity of about 80. ( I tested at the highest intensity point in the schedule).

That almost doesn't sound possible. I'm going to raise my Kessils by 5 INT for the next week or two and see how things respond.
How do your corals look? Do they look like they need more light?

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your corals look? Do they look like they need more light?
Just did a tank transfer since I moved about 4 months ago, but coral aren't really doing all that well. There's some PE on the torch, gorgonian, and some LPS encrusting coral, but none are looking 100%. Duncan has recently gone completely in and looked like it lost all it's flesh. But I've always dealt with high PO4 (~1), and so I usually just contribute it to that, but with more and more tanks I see operating perfectly with high phosphate levels, I'm not so sure anymore.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know how it goes.
I final made a cover to go over the screen so it wouldn’t go into hold mode. Thinking I might make something a little more convenient so I don’t have to keep stuffing it into bag when I want to use it. Not sure how accurate it is but seems pretty good to me. Under the hydra 32 I’m getting about 290-300 6 inches under the surface. Light is about 9 inches off the water. Under the 16hd I’m getting roughly 50 at the substrate which is what I figured it would be.

519C6522-D93D-40F9-9F11-33850430918E.jpeg

Carlos Borges

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used the free setting "sun" to meassure their lights PAR?
Is it going to be atleast "close" to accurate as if you were measuring with the full spectrum LED paid settings?
I took a reading of the Sun...it gave me about 900-1000 PAR at 11:30am(winter here)...then I meassured my tank lights(hibrid t5 + LED) with this same "Sun" setting and it gave me around 650 PAR at the surface of my tank...
can anyone do a test with the Photone on "Sun" under ther lights and post the results please?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm late to the party as usual. Is there a final consensus on this app?
No one has posted any numbers, is it really just the same as lux meter or is the algorithm for the app better than doing the math with lux meter?
Ziplock with cardboard seems to work just fine. My kids iphone 11 is MUCH better than my 5, much more consistent.
I don't have par meter so I am hoping someone here was able to compare the two.
Anyone?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm late to the party as usual. Is there a final consensus on this app?
No one has posted any numbers, is it really just the same as lux meter or is the algorithm for the app better than doing the math with lux meter?
Ziplock with cardboard seems to work just fine. My kids iphone 11 is MUCH better than my 5, much more consistent.
I don't have par meter so I am hoping someone here was able to compare the two.
Anyone?
Check page 5 for my numbers

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check page 5 for my numbers
Thanks, ur right. I think 3-4 posted some numbers :) Your chart was very solid while others provided a quick 2-3 references. I kind of came away from their posts still wondering...

You noted in your post you did not use the paper defuser, it's an absolute must. type of paper makes a difference also. I used the same one posted at the beginning of this thread #20 printing.I tried others, results all over. I think other paper can be used the readings just need to be calibrated...

Also, the phones light sensor makes a difference how stable the numbers are. I've used 3 iphones now.
iphone 5se -mine
iphone 6
iphone 11 pro

The 11 pro comes in hand over fist the winner in consistency.
I was hoping by now someone with a nice par meter and a newer phone could have sorted it out ... anyone :)

Bryant1991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downloaded the android version for Note 9. I do not have a PAR meter to compare to, but what I did was use reference par data from a review for my light. The app seems to be very accurate without calibration. So far very happy. The only calibration I did was when I put it in the zip-lock bag.

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I realize this thread may have been forgotten but I’m having issues calibrating.
The instructions are confusing. And something about multiplying by 1.32 for under water.
So just based on my tests, the plastic bag lowers par about 20-30. So would it be fair to use it uncalibrated and add 20 and then multiply by 1.32?
That would make par around 70-200 on our bigger tank. Which is about what the par meter gave us when we rented one a year ago.
Or does calibration change numbers differently??

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I realize this thread may have been forgotten but I’m having issues calibrating.
The instructions are confusing. And something about multiplying by 1.32 for under water.
So just based on my tests, the plastic bag lowers par about 20-30. So would it be fair to use it uncalibrated and add 20 and then multiply by 1.32?
That would make par around 70-200 on our bigger tank. Which is about what the par meter gave us when we rented one a year ago.
Or does calibration change numbers differently??
I’m using these instructions and it doesn’t go back once I calibrate the first time. Also it gives an insanely higher number with the bag on. I don’t get it.

Back