Free to good home: 1 dwarf seahorse!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I ordered ghosties last week from my supplier in FL and in with them was a little seahorse. I believe it is a dwarf although I am not positive.

She needs very little space(a qt canning jar will work) and equipment(an air pump and open airline tubing) but she needs lots of maintenance. Dwarf seahorses only eat live food. They are ambush predators so they do not move in pursuit of prey but instead they wait for the unsuspecting prey to come within snicking range. Because of that, she is best in a small jar or bowl where a large density of pods or baby brine shrimp can be offered. You will need to hatch the bbs every few days and enrich it every day. Also you need to syphon out the bbs that she has not eatten and replace her enclosure with fresh made saltwater. AND she needs to eat at least 3Xs a day. This little gal is not for the casual saltwater enthusiast, she will require commitment. I just do not have the time to give her but at the same time I did not want to watch her die. I wanted to let you know what you are getting into if you consider this however. Messege me if you are interested.

Pete Horwath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I ordered ghosties last week from my supplier in FL and in with them was a little seahorse. I believe it is a dwarf although I am not positive.

She needs very little space(a qt canning jar will work) and equipment(an air pump and open airline tubing) but she needs lots of maintenance. Dwarf seahorses only eat live food. They are ambush predators so they do not move in pursuit of prey but instead they wait for the unsuspecting prey to come within snicking range. Because of that, she is best in a small jar or bowl where a large density of pods or baby brine shrimp can be offered. You will need to hatch the bbs every few days and enrich it every day. Also you need to syphon out the bbs that she has not eatten and replace her enclosure with fresh made saltwater. AND she needs to eat at least 3Xs a day. This little gal is not for the casual saltwater enthusiast, she will require commitment. I just do not have the time to give her but at the same time I did not want to watch her die. I wanted to let you know what you are getting into if you consider this however. Messege me if you are interested.
I can take her! I was setting up a seahorse tank anyways which is just about ready right now. I grow pods commercially anyways so she'll have plenty to eat!!! I would love to know what species she is so i can get a few more to keep her company.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take her! I was setting up a seahorse tank anyways which is just about ready right now. I grow pods commercially anyways so she'll have plenty to eat!!! I would love to know what species she is so i can get a few more to keep her company.
Pete, you would think I should be an expert on seahorses after having them for over 4 years but I am not. I do not know seahorse species to look at them.

She is either a dwarf seahorse that will stay small her entire life (maximum 2" from nose to tail) or she is a baby erectus, which will grow to be around 7"+as a mature adult. I raised erectus about 4 years ago and she does not look like an erectus to me. Her snout is short and stubby.

If you grow copepods commercially then that will significantly help with one of the biggest chores in caring for dwarf seahorses. The rigors of daily hatching and enriching baby brine shrimp wear folks down and few last past 1 year of keeping dwarfs.

I will pm you and see how I can get her to you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back