Free Volitan Lion Fish - Costa Mesa, CA

ReefAddict_27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a beautiful reddish volitan lionfish but I need him gone ASAP, preferably Friday.

He's eating frozen baby shrimp (krill-like) and whatever he can fit in his mouth.
Was pretty cool to have at first until I caught him with a peppermint shrimp antenna sticking out of his mouth:
image.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Taking a nap with a full tummy:
image_9.jpeg

He's about 4" from head to end of tail. I think he grew about an inch since I had him for two weeks because I fed him twice a day.

I thought about give him away when I saw him lunged at my ruby dragonette and ended up with a mouthful full of sand. It was pretty funny sight with the dragonette darted out the way and perched nearby and gave the lionfish a "Chill out dude" look.

Great fish and personality, I wish he wasn't such a glutton for live meals.
The last straw was when I saw him doing his happy dance I knew he snatched a meal.
I can't find my favorite blue cleaner wrasse that was there 30 seconds ago and I knew it became his latest victim. I fed him two decent size frozen shrimp just 20 minutes prior and thought he was full and his tankmates are safe.

I'm giving him away for free with two trays of frozen baby shrimp. I think he will eat krills.
I can meet at South Coast Plaza or somewhere close by, preferably after lunch on Friday (7/15).

image_4.jpeg

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could give it to a lfs? They sometimes will give you credit it for it. Mine does atleast

OP
OP
R

ReefAddict_27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww... beautiful, but I have no where to put him.

I really like him. Reminds me of the dragons from "How to Train Your Dragon" when he swims up and snatches a frozen krill".

I just got a Mr. Aqua 12 gal low iron glass today, maybe i'll put him in there until someone has better tank for him than I do.

Would it be cruel to just keep him by himself in tank? any affect on his social behavior? For example, would he get more aggressive in someone else's tank with other fishes after being in isolation.

Thanks

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. LFS would only give a 1/3 their selling price for it so I'd rather give it a fellow hobbyist for free :D

I completely understand. Just a thought in case you can't find anyone to take him and he wouldn't eat or kill anything else in your tank. Hopefully he will find a great home here soon. If anything would give you some money to help get some fish again. Wow only a third that's crazy. Mine gives you half the value of the fish so, if its worth 20 you get ten in store credit though. Doesn't bother me since that money is going towards a fish anyway or coral.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this would workout as I'm sure they get many people asking to donate, but maybe an aquarium would want him? Or maybe ask local companies with large aquariums in their buildings? Who knows, maybe one of them has a predator style tank in need of a lionfish :p

OP
OP
R

ReefAddict_27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand. Just a thought in case you can't find anyone to take him and he wouldn't eat or kill anything else in your tank. Hopefully he will find a great home here soon. If anything would give you some money to help get some fish again. Wow only a third that's crazy. Mine gives you half the value of the fish so, if its worth 20 you get ten in store credit though. Doesn't bother me since that money is going towards a fish anyway or coral.

Thank you for your suggestion. Sometime I just trade-in for an excuse to get new fish/coral

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back