French Polynesian Maxima's survivability, what is your findings?

What percentage of the French Poly Maxima's have died on you?

• 90 to 100 percent

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • 80 to 90 percent

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 70 to 80 percent

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 60 to 70 percent

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 50 to 60 percent

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 40 to 50 percent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 to 40 percent

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 20 to 30 percent

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 10 to 20 percent

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 0 to 10 percent

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost my second French Poly Maxima, I have lost 2 out of the 3 that I have owned. This makes me wonder what everyone's findings on survivability rates with these clams? I've kinda been hearing through the interwebs that people are loosing quite a few of them. Lets put this to a poll and see what everyone is finding.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! Lets figure out whats happening. It starts with awareness for sure. I think it would help if you posted some general pics of the patterns and look of these clams so people might be able to identify theirs as a French Polynesian Maxima.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had all three of mine die unexpectedly. One came from my LFS and two came from a reputable vendor onine. My ORA cultured maxima looks awesome still.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got five or six of them at the LFS I was working at and I remember only two of them making it. It was a major loss. A couple had pinched mantel, a couple bleached and dissolved within a few days in excellent water quality, stable params, under halides.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tried one, but it ended up dying. It lasted for about 2 months and then for seemingly no reason, I woke up to an empty shell. It never showed any signs of PM and all other clams were fine, so your guess is as good as mine as to what happened.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine since May and it's still doing well. How long did y'all have yours before you started losing them?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! Lets figure out whats happening. It starts with awareness for sure. I think it would help if you posted some general pics of the patterns and look of these clams so people might be able to identify theirs as a French Polynesian Maxima.

They are the Maxima's that are being sold currently that are generally big and range from 4" to 7". They are usually blue but I have seen some really wild patterns with them. They are great looking clams for sure.

I had all three of mine die unexpectedly. One came from my LFS and two came from a reputable vendor onine. My ORA cultured maxima looks awesome still.

Mine both died unexpectedly too, no signs of stress from fish or inverts.

I only tried one, but it ended up dying. It lasted for about 2 months and then for seemingly no reason, I woke up to an empty shell. It never showed any signs of PM and all other clams were fine, so your guess is as good as mine as to what happened.

Mine died the same way last night.

I have had mine since May and it's still doing well. How long did y'all have yours before you started losing them?

Mine both lasted about 3 to 4 months.

I like to refer to them as time bombs

I'm starting to think the same thing. Which is totally weird to me because you would think the larger Maxima's would have a greater survivability rate.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be keeping an eye on it. I have it at the very top of my tank about 10" under a 14k phoenix almost dead center. It seems to be doing great and growing since I got it.

newclam.jpg

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this bad boy for six months or more and it was doing great. One day I came home and it was crab food! Sucked to be me that day.

IMG_9424.jpg

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does suck. Mine looks almost exactly like that from the top down. I hope it survives.......

newclam2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 that has looked like crap for about a month, with intermittent pinched mantle. Really don't understand what's going on with it. Got it from Pacific East (Dr. Mac's). Really pretty clam measuring about 5". Crappy thing is that my other clam from there (a 2" guy that I've had for about a year), also started looking bad.

Water parameters check out; no pests; no changes in position. Still haven't lost them but they definitely don't look good.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what fish and inverts do you have?

I have 1 that has looked like crap for about a month, with intermittent pinched mantle. Really don't understand what's going on with it. Got it from Pacific East (Dr. Mac's). Really pretty clam measuring about 5". Crappy thing is that my other clam from there (a 2" guy that I've had for about a year), also started looking bad.

Water parameters check out; no pests; no changes in position. Still haven't lost them but they definitely don't look good.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Looking to get a few clams, but looking for any further info before I purchase a possible issue. Thanks

flyfish4trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for almost a year, I got it in a trade with another reefer that had it for just over a year.
Clam01.jpg

Snprhed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, my experience was the same. 3-4 months then pretty suddenly turned for the worse and was gone. I am currently seated firmly on the edge of the clam pool waiting to see where things go with them. I love the clams but its not worth killing them or spending the money on something that wont survive.

I thought the Mari-culture in palau really took of several years ago? Thought we'd see a big indopacific resurgence, or at least a steady sustainable influx.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend and I bought a total of three at a swap from Dr. Mac. His died about 5 months after the swap. One of my 2 died a month after his. Making our survive ability percentage 33%. I will not be buying any more french poly clams.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back