Fresh Cut Acros

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a SPS frag pack from someone on eBay last week. I was pretty happy with it, minus everything looked like they were cut 10min before shipping. Stylo, Digi, birds nest, Pocci, Tyree undata Monti and Monroe spongodes all seem fine. The two acros, have not opened. Assuming the fresh cut then off to the mail is the problem.

Any suggestion for helping out struggling fresh cut acros. When I say fresh I keen fresh. Not a spec of green algae on the plug. Glue was almost soft still lol.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a SPS frag pack from someone on eBay last week. I was pretty happy with it, minus everything looked like they were cut 10min before shipping. Stylo, Digi, birds nest, Pocci, Tyree undata Monti and Monroe spongodes all seem fine. The two acros, have not opened. Assuming the fresh cut then off to the mail is the problem.

Any suggestion for helping out struggling fresh cut acros. When I say fresh I keen fresh. Not a spec of green algae on the plug. Glue was almost soft still lol.

Personally I prefer fresh cut acros. No time for AEFW to lat eggs on the plug. You could (but shouldn't) skip your dipping.

Shipping stress is a real thing, but waiting for "healing" has never been a thing for me.

As to "opening", give them a couple days. Check for extension after lights out.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer fresh cut acros. No time for AEFW to lat eggs on the plug. You could (but shouldn't) skip your dipping.

Shipping stress is a real thing, but waiting for "healing" has never been a thing for me.

As to "opening", give them a couple days. Check for extension after lights out.

It will be a week tomorrow since I received them.... I’ve looked right after lights out, middle of the night and first think in the morning. You can def see where the polyps want to pop out though.
Right one is a generic purple acros. Left one should be a calacali acro.

ABCAC658-1DC1-49F4-8775-3021DF9531A5.jpeg

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The healing myth are from those who sell polyps n nubs. They are so small so they need time to grow out lol

I too like fresh cuts. However i purchased a pack from a member on here about a month ago. They insisted on letting frags heal. I didn’t mind as I was in no hurry. Last week I got the frags and was surprised to see the amount of healing that had taken place! (These were easy 2”+ frags btw, not nubs lol). Not that I cared that the frags had healed but I was able to see about how much the frags had grown in the month they had healed, and believe I can know somewhat judge how fast the frags might grow for me...!?!? Some were incrusted quite well and others incrusted but not as much. Everything has it pros and cons but this was something I thought was kinda cool to use for judgment.

Just a cool tidbit I never thought of tell I got this pack.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first started shipping corals they were all fresh cuts. I'd cut them from the colony, toss in the bag and ship them out. These were not glued down just the actual frag only.

This was also how vendors shipped corals back then...........just the coral. Once you got the coral you glued it to whatever your choice was. Coral plugs and racks were hardly ever used.

Once you slap glue on a frag it's going to need time to heal. You handle the frag a lot more trying glue and positon..more time out of the water, ect. The glue to skin interface is also a point of irritation.

Now with the price of some of these frags a customer wants pictures and an encrusted frag is going to cost more. So for today's market, it makes sense to give corals a 7-14 day healing process.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back