Fresh RSCP test?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with monthly water changes Al, and Li will continue to accumulate because nothing in our systems will use up these two elementz, right?

Technically no Greg. If the only source of the AL and Li is from the salt mix then removing saltwater via a water change and replacing it with water of the same brand of salt would keep the concentrations the same. If the elements are being introduced daily via another source (like two-part or such) then they would continue to rise. If the concentrations become higher than those found in freshly mixed saltwater then the water change would have a reduction effect on the concentrations.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the elevated Mn in fresh mixed salt, more reasons to do very small water changes at a time IF they are necessary. Decrease the volume and increase the frequency.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most salts have very elevated levels of both Manganese and Iodine. There is a thread on reefcentral from about a year ago where a group of reefers sent in samples for 5-6 of the most popular salt mixes. RSCP, DDOcean, and Tropic Marin Pro were the standout best from my eyes. Keep in mind salts can change big time from batch to batch however.

Manganese is rapidly removed by GFO (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/chemistry?hc_location=ufi). It is also consumed by corals, especially gonioporas and algae.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually some thinking that Manganese is utilized by corals such as Goniopora, as Sangheili alluded to, as well as other corals which reside in mud bottoms and such...Interesting stuff...Justin Credabel has spoken of this before, and I know Jake Adams is a believer in Manganese as a vital component of coral growth.

-Scott

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back