Fresh water dip???

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do a proper and safe fresh water dip? I am considering dipping my yellow tang. I'm concerned the PH is obviously way different in my RO water than my tank water. Is it safe to use plain RO water as your dip?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips are usually just 5 minutes so I never worry about the PH. If your worried about it, you can splash a little tank water into the dip container to help buffer it some. Doing a freshwater dip is super easy. You'll want a container large enough to fit the fish of course, then an air stone and pump. You'll want to temp match the water they are coming from and run the air stone the whole time they are in there, set your phone to count down 5 minutes and put them in! Keep an eye out to make sure they dont try to jump out or anything as well. Why are you thinking of dipping the tang? Do you suspect flukes, brook or velvet?

OP
OP
jje2016

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips are usually just 5 minutes so I never worry about the PH. If your worried about it, you can splash a little tank water into the dip container to help buffer it some. Doing a freshwater dip is super easy. You'll want a container large enough to fit the fish of course, then an air stone and pump. You'll want to temp match the water they are coming from and run the air stone the whole time they are in there, set your phone to count down 5 minutes and put them in! Keep an eye out to make sure they dont try to jump out or anything as well. Why are you thinking of dipping the tang? Do you suspect flukes, brook or velvet?
I was just curious on the procedure itself should I ever have to do a FW dip. Thank you so much :)

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some clown fish and they look like they have a white dust on them do you think its velvet or brook?

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dips won't get rid of velvet or brook t might help with relief but it won't erracate the parasite completely you'll have to at the fish and if you have other fish I'd qt them as well as you have now introduced the parasite to your tank I'm assuming you didn't qt them rite pictures would help much to see if it is velvet brook or ich and once Id is recommend starting the proper treatment @melypr1985 have I missed anything besides humblfishs post about qt and what type of treatments?

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have mine in QT and they are in Formalin MS
Will that get rid of it im not sure what they have it looks like a white dust on them just want to make sure I have them in the right meds

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have mine in QT and they are in Formalin MS
Will that get rid of it im not sure what they have it looks like a white dust on them just want to make sure I have them in the right meds

A freshwater dip can help give some relief for velvet and can actually help quite a bit with brook. Brook is a surface parasite so it's more effected by the freshwater. You would have to do it and put the fish into a clean, sterile QT afterwards and probably repeat the process several times. Formalin dips would help with brook as well though I dont encourage people to use it since it's pretty harsh on the fish and is a carcinogen for us.

Velvet needs to be treated with copper or (depending on the fish species) CP. Humble has a protocol for velvet that involves a couple dips and then QT with CP I believe. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what is this copper called so I can get some I bought these clowns Friday still doing not so bad I will give them a fresh water dip and get what ever I need

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0a98859a9bad9b1bbef6704bc337f523.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Marine Ich.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's probably velvet or brook. Either way a formalin or acriflavine bath, followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT dosed with copper or CP will address all 3 issues (including ich). So, all bases would be covered.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's probably velvet or brook. Either way a formalin or acriflavine bath, followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT dosed with copper or CP will address all 3 issues (including ich). So, all bases would be covered.

I really think that's velvet. Going this ^^^ route will be the best bet no matter what.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some and overnight it and fresh water dipped them it seemed to help also did a big water change and carbon so I will be ready when it gets here do I add it with the fish in the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back