freshwater dip question

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinch of Kent buffer or baking soda... when I remember and when I'm not being lazy.

I don't fw dip much. Only for nudis. All new stuff gets a sw/iodine dip though. Less stressful than fw for general purpose dip.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, Rev already has a ton of DDB LE zoas :)

He told us many times!

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would the saltwater dip likely be good enough? I've never seen anything like the critter running around the colony... It is going in the QT, so it wouldn't be in general population, but I have some really nice PE's that were purchased with these today (three colonies and a frag of what seem to be RPE's with the blue center, but are orange under 12K MH (175W SE)). I'll get pics posted once I acclimate them. I've added water several times, btu don't want to release the whateveritis into the tank without treating one way or another. I'm prepared to let them sit all night, if need be. they are floating, so there shouldn't be any issues... I'll get pics of the spider/crab/whateveritis tomorrow, too. I'm gonna try to keep it alive somehow.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm concerned I do a double strength sw/iodine dip. SPS corals tolerate that very well, and I figure zoas are even tougher than SPS.

Pretty much any hitchhikers will be stunned from a 2x iodine sw dip. Use a turkey baster to blast the rock/frag too.

I go for 15-20 min with sw/iodine.

If it's a big rock, and I'm concerned about baddies, or rotting sponges etc, I'll frag the rock into a bunch of small ones to make cleaning easier.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yah, probably a zoa spider. Just pluck him out and toss him.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gflat65 said:
So would the saltwater dip likely be good enough? I've never seen anything like the critter running around the colony... It is going in the QT, so it wouldn't be in general population, but I have some really nice PE's that were purchased with these today (three colonies and a frag of what seem to be RPE's with the blue center, but are orange under 12K MH (175W SE)). I'll get pics posted once I acclimate them. I've added water several times, btu don't want to release the whateveritis into the tank without treating one way or another. I'm prepared to let them sit all night, if need be. they are floating, so there shouldn't be any issues... I'll get pics of the spider/crab/whateveritis tomorrow, too. I'm gonna try to keep it alive somehow.

OOooooo, when in doubt, FW Lugols!!!

:D Laurie Zoanthid Protectorate

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back