Friend or foe? ID please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alwmh4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Alwmh4

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
261
Reaction score
27
Location
Abingdon, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've read in a couple places that this is harmless and in others that it's a problem. I've inly seen it in my zoas. It's reddish/pinkish in color and does not extend further than polyps of zoas. It has bulbous tips. Pictures are horrible. I'll try for better ones. There are maybe 5 on this particular frag. I also have a veritmed on there too but that's another issue all together. Reason I noticed these guys is bc some polyps weren't opening like they usually do but the ones that aren't opening, aren't next to anything obviously threatening. image.png image.png
 
Without a better image I am guessing the object is Red Bubble Algae/Red Valonia. If that is the correct ID than yes this type of algae has the potential to become invasive. I would just grab the frag, remove from water, pull or tweezer the algae off.
 
image.jpeg Well the thing is that if you touch it, it will retract. It's just not as big or as quick as an aiptasia. I just tried for more pics. image.jpeg
 
If the object does not move it's most likely sponge or algae. Sponge can removed with a soft tooth brush.
 
Probably a ball anemone. Does it come out when lights go out?
 
Yeah that's what it looks like. Shoot it up with kalkwasser
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new