Fritz Salt Issues?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where in the instructions does it say to continuously mix it either. If you’re not sure on best practices you need to reach out to the manufacturer for clearer instructions and not just assume that you can do something just because it doesn’t say you shouldn’t.

Lol

It would be nice if we could rely on manufacturers to understand their products. Sadly, that is often not the case.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol

It would be nice if we could rely on manufacturers to understand their products. Sadly, that is often not the case.

Just going out on a limb here - assuming 'circulating the water' doesn't raise the temperature higher than circulating the water in the tank (into which the water is being put) - how could circulating the water cause a problem - in a salt container.

BTW - I always mix up my salt - and let it circulate overnight - and then use it (per instructions) - I dont 'store saltwater'. Curious - could something (mold, bacteria) be growing in a storage tank - which then results in toxicity when that water is used?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where in the instructions does it say to continuously mix it either. If you’re not sure on best practices you need to reach out to the manufacturer for clearer instructions and not just assume that you can do something just because it doesn’t say you shouldn’t.
Thanks for your opinion but I am of another opinion. Why should I need to call a manufacturer of all the products I use to ask if there are any known issues with any practices that would be considered pretty standard. I don't have time for that but maybe you do.

I'm sure a large amount of reefers keep their mixing stations heated and circulated. BRS recently ran a test with 8 salts and what do you know all 8 had consistent readings after contined mixing for an extended period.

If Fritz knows that extended mixing is an issue it can easily be stated in the instructions. Mix until clear and discontinue mixing. Simple

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for your opinion but I am of another opinion. Why should I need to call a manufacturer of all the products I use to ask if there are any known issues with any practices that would be considered pretty standard. I don't have time for that but maybe you do.

I'm sure a large amount of reefers keep their mixing stations heated and circulated. BRS recently ran a test with 8 salts and what do you know all 8 had consistent readings after contined mixing for an extended period.

If Fritz knows that extended mixing is an issue it can easily be stated in the instructions. Mix until clear and discontinue mixing. Simple

I don't even put a heater in my brute but I do keep it circulating. I make up a 44 gallon brute and use it over the course of a month if I'm on top of things or 2 months if I'm lazy. It is usually the later because, well, I'm pretty lazy and the dislike of water changes is strong in me ;)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I keep a powerhead and recirculating pump running constantly in my mixing station. What's the difference of constantly moving in the tank vs in a bucket?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even put a heater in my brute but I do keep it circulating. I make up a 44 gallon brute and use it over the course of a month if I'm on top of things or 2 months if I'm lazy. It is usually the later because, well, I'm pretty lazy and the dislike of water changes is strong in me ;)
I think that's common but to have your mix go from 8.5 to 4.5 during that process would probably not be beneficial for your tank

That's what I found with this salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Point taken.

Is that from 'mixing' - doesnt make sense - or is it something in your bucket (i.,e, bacteria/algtae etc - thats using alkalinity) - OR could it be the heating - causing (as randy has said - precipitation (does the Calcium also drop?)

U

User1

View Badges
Is that from 'mixing' - doesnt make sense - or is it something in your bucket (i.,e, bacteria/algtae etc - thats using alkalinity) - OR could it be the heating - causing (as randy has said - precipitation (does the Calcium also drop?)

They referred to my reply in that I don't use a heater but do mix and leave a power head running and use the 44 gallons within 1 to 2 months. Their reply was about heat and mixing the salt to specific gravity and how temperature would interact.

As far as this debate with Fritz salt as I said earlier I think the OP has every right to question the salt if that is all that changed. I would have done similar math although not posted and just changed because it would have been the result of one or two things only. 1 - salt. 2 - my error. And since I can't be wrong I would have blamed the salt :D Ok, I'm teasing. I would have thought I did something wrong but still would have changed the salt.

People, er, hobbyist obviously use the salt otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering that too. I heard yes and no I'm going to call LA. And find out.
I wouldn't think it would be but IDK.
And if day Fritz and LA. Salt is the same please share info. I would like to know. Because I haven't seen anything that shows there the same. Thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And if day Fritz and LA. Salt is the same please share info. I would like to know. Because I haven't seen anything that shows there the same. Thank you

Very interesting = if you read these 2 links - you might see where people think Liveaquaria salt is the same recipe (if not the same salt) - the descriptions of both have almost identical wording in many places... And only slightly different wording in others.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to the heads at Fritz. This story does not add up!?

Except a friend uses a pallet a week of Fritz Pro Salt servicing tanks with tens of thousands in corals and fish, all very high end. Zero problems, he would be killing 100s of thousands in livestock! I use Fritz Pro only because my rank tech uses it, because he feels it is the best.

What’s the motive? A10% water change with quality salt mix cannot kill coral. I test my tank after every water change....exactly correct every week. How?

Like politics....think.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting = if you read these 2 links - you might see where people think Liveaquaria salt is the same recipe (if not the same salt) - the descriptions of both have almost identical wording in many places... And only slightly different wording in others.

And after reading the mixing instructions for each salt - I would never use either. (PS - it does say if the salt (both of them) does not mix clear contact them for further mixing instructions. I did not see anywhere where it said not to mix the salt for longer than x hours.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after reading the mixing instructions for each salt - I would never use either. (PS - it does say if the salt (both of them) does not mix clear contact them for further mixing instructions. I did not see anywhere where it said not to mix the salt for longer than x hours.
It don't really matter I have moved on to tropic Marin pro salt. Cost doesn't matter because my corals are worth every penny. At the end of the day I know I have a certain brand and not anything else. Thank you

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs , how is the red box treating everything? I think I may have ran into the same issue but I ordered the red box. It's not open yet but figured ide ask.
Red box?

Ale_lock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM red box (high alk), I mix until clear and stop. I have noted that if left mixing, it will cause some precipitation (left overnight and visible precipitants on bucket wall).

Thus, I just mix when needed (15G nano), started with IO Reef Crystals for 9 months, Red Sea Black for 3 months, Fritz Red for soon to be a year in Dec. I am happy with the results produced thankfully for my setup and application.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back