Frogspawn <Euphyllia divisa> Sting

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has ever been stung by their frogspawn (Euphyllia divisa)? I was doing some tank maintenance and reached over my frogspawn and 6 hours later developed a rash on the inside of my elbow. Then in the morning i had a rather large area infected red and bumpy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has ever been stung by their frogspawn (Euphyllia divisa)? I was doing some tank maintenance and reached over my frogspawn and 6 hours later developed a rash on the inside of my elbow. Then in the morning i had a rather large area infected red and bumpy.
No (guess I've been fortunate or just lucky). I only seem to find stings from bristleworms I've inadvertently touched when removing rocks.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be you are very susceptible to stings so just be careful but i have never experienced that with frogspawn. I have felt a little warm on my hand after touching a particularly strong anemone or my elegance coral though

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many corals can sting and if you happen to be sensitive to a particular coral, then yes, touching it can irritate the skin.

Generally, the nematocysts in the corals we keep have a pretty weak sting/toxin and unless you have an open cut, don't bother humans.

One thing to keep in mind is that, just like many other toxins (e.g. bee stings, etc), a person can develop sensitivities to coral at any time and these can worsen with each exposure. I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this case, but it might be best to have benedryl on hand in case of a more serious reaction in the future.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say "infected", what exactly do you mean? If the area is warm to the touch or you see any red lines starting to run up your arm, please go to the doctor or an urgent care center because these may be symptoms of something serious.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back