Frogspawn flesh receding and white tissue on flesh

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Background: I was on vacation for a few days. When I came back, I’ve noticed that flesh on a few torches and frogspawn has receded. I suspect this is due to high temperature (temp was swinging between 79.5-82.5). While I was able to get it back under control (78-80), the receding stopped for most euphyllia except this frogspawn.

I noticed there are white tissues on the flesh of my frogspawn and it’s getting worse. Feels like the flesh is ripped and flowing. Should I continue observing or treatment is needed? Worried that this will turn into brown jelly.
Parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0.08
Cal: 400
Alk: 8.0
Mag: 1350
PH: 8.15

Picture1 is taken at night when the lights are off. It opens fine during the day (picture 2)
IMG_4634.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics aren’t super clear, but could be new ‘baby’ heads or a sponge

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pics aren’t super clear, but could be new ‘baby’ heads or a sponge
Sorry, it was placed far in the tank and it’s hard to get clear picture without taking it out.

It’s definitely not the baby head (there’s one baby head near that area and they look different). I checked this morning, the white tissues fell off and that area now has no flesh. Not sure if the flesh receding will continue. Will monitor for now

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it was placed far in the tank and it’s hard to get clear picture without taking it out.

It’s definitely not the baby head (there’s one baby head near that area and they look different). I checked this morning, the white tissues fell off and that area now has no flesh. Not sure if the flesh receding will continue. Will monitor for now
Keep an eye on it, but if it is opening up during the day it is probably fine. My hammers tend to get bare white skeleton at the base....I assume it is growth before it gets colored by algae.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It’s getting worse tonight. I decided to take it out for an iodine dip. I noticed that there are two other spots on the other side of the flesh are showing the same symptoms, can anyone help diagnose what’s going on?

Couple clear pictures attached:
IMG_4637.jpeg
IMG_4638.jpeg

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through the same thing with mommy frogspawn. How’s your coral doing? Did you find out why it’s happening?

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s getting worse, but not as bad. I finally figure out that my phosphate suddenly dropped to 0.00, and that’s likely the cause
I don’t have phosphate tester so I don’t know what mine are need to invest in one. Are you going to raise phosphate levels in your tank?

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpeg
    IMG_5394.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 68

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are mensenterial filaments. Often it occurs from a feeding response where coral is trying to digest excess nutrients, or when nutrients are low and even happy coral will display this again known as mesenetrial filaments

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t have phosphate tester so I don’t know what mine are need to invest in one. Are you going to raise phosphate levels in your tank?
Yes, I’m doing it right now via excessive feeding (hesitated to dose anything yet). How old is your tank? Do you have other water parameters? Please don’t try to raise phosphate without testing it.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

TheOverfeeder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: I was on vacation for a few days. When I came back, I’ve noticed that flesh on a few torches and frogspawn has receded. I suspect this is due to high temperature (temp was swinging between 79.5-82.5). While I was able to get it back under control (78-80), the receding stopped for most euphyllia except this frogspawn.

I noticed there are white tissues on the flesh of my frogspawn and it’s getting worse. Feels like the flesh is ripped and flowing. Should I continue observing or treatment is needed? Worried that this will turn into brown jelly.
Parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0.08
Cal: 400
Alk: 8.0
Mag: 1350
PH: 8.15

Picture1 is taken at night when the lights are off. It opens fine during the day (picture 2)
IMG_4634.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg
You
Yes, I’m doing it right now via excessive feeding (hesitated to dose anything yet). How old is your tank? Do you have other water parameters? Please don’t try to raise phosphate without testing it.
I wouldn’t think temporarily 0 phosphate would cause any damage to the coral, since they can get all the nutrients they need from the light. I had an issue with excessive heat causing an issue like this (but mine was a malfunctioning heater that had the water at 100 F). After I got it down to normal, it took a few days for the flesh receding to stop. The receding flesh caused phosphates to spike.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a few euphyllia frags this summer after a temp swing like you had - they looked stressed, then when I got the temp back down looked a bit better … then slowly fizzled out. Depressing loss honestly frogspawn and octospawn are my favorite . I added a small fan to help avoid overheating and the survivors are doing much better now.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a wild frogspawn, you can tell because the skin is brown and not white in color.
Once this start happening (skin receding and falling) it’s pretty much a time will tell situation. Nothing you can do accept wait and if it’s getting worse day by day it’ll take a week for it to be gone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back