Frogspawn Help!

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this frogspawn in my tank for about two months. I've placed it in the middle of my tank because I thought it looked great there and it was getting adequate flow. Checked my tank last night and it did look shriveled up. Now I checked it this morning and it looks like this. Is it a goner? Maybe I can't keep euphylia.

PXL_20220218_195433754.jpg

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have tank parameters? Also the type of lighting you have, even a video would help to give you some advice

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the lights off? corals normally shrink at night, and inflate back up when the lights come on

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do an increase on your UV and Blues. Corals need blues more than anything else, you’d have to do it slowly. I also can’t see video but do you test your water for cal-alk and mag?

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the one reply to you, if you click expand, there should be two video. I just tested my alk and it's at 9.0. When I do a water change it's usually at 9.2. I do not have a mag tester, only ULR phosphate and Alk

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look very unhappy where it currently is. Did it ever fully expand or has it always looked like this? Also how old is your tank?

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look very unhappy where it currently is. Did it ever fully expand or has it always looked like this? Also how old is your tank?
I have moved it a few times and thought middle of the tank looked the best since it was getting some flow. I did recently move a power head towards it so it can get more flow as well but not too much. I just tested ULR phosphate and got 0. Maybe it's because I didn't feed them last night?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks pretty new. I don't see any coralline and the rocks looks pretty clean.
Get yourself a mag tester, as well as nitrate. LPS need proper mag levels.
My suggested params are: Nitrate 5-10, Phos under .1, Mag 1350, Calc 420. For light, my Frogspawn, hammer and torches are in ranges of 150-250 PAR. Some even a little higher. Medium flow.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my euphyllia at all so I doubt that’s what it is. The best advice I can give you without the rest of numbers is to take up the blues % and not point a power head anywhere near them. The flow can tear their tissue very easily, you want more of a “swaying” motion not constant flow blasting it

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks pretty new. I don't see any coralline and the rocks looks pretty clean.
Get yourself a mag tester, as well as nitrate. LPS need proper mag levels.
My suggested params are: Nitrate 5-10, Phos under .1, Mag 1350, Calc 420. For light, my Frogspawn, hammer and torches are in ranges of 150-250 PAR. Some even a little higher. Medium flow.
The tank has been up for a year now. I switched everything over from my fluval 13.5. The frogspawn is new from about 2 months ago. I need to get a mag tester, but it looks like my ownly euphylia is a goner. Alk is 9.0, for some reason my Phosphate is at 0.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_000546452.jpg
    PXL_20220114_000546452.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my euphyllia at all so I doubt that’s what it is. The best advice I can give you without the rest of numbers is to take up the blues % and not point a power head anywhere near them. The flow can tear their tissue very easily, you want more of a “swaying” motion not constant flow blasting it
Do you know how to bump up the blues on an AI Prime? If so how much %? Thanks for your help, I think pointing the power head at it might have killed it

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how to bump up the blues on an AI Prime? If so how much %? Thanks for your help, I think pointing the power head at it might have killed it
You definitely want to do this over a couple of weeks. You can start by raising blues 10% per week until you get to at least 70%. Next time you get euphyllia place it near the bottom and see how they acclimate to your system, sometimes euphyllia can take a while to fully expand depending on the dipping process and acclimation too. I should mention that I keep my nitrates around 10 because they love “dirty” water and that’s what they feed off of. Here’s a shot of mine and I have never fed them at all, yes my tang loves to photo-bomb every coral shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 40

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I always keep in hand a Lugol’s dip in hand in case they get stressed or aren’t expanding and it always works like a charm!

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to do this over a couple of weeks. You can start by raising blues 10% per week until you get to at least 70%. Next time you get euphyllia place it near the bottom and see how they acclimate to your system, sometimes euphyllia can take a while to fully expand depending on the dipping process and acclimation too. I should mention that I keep my nitrates around 10 because they love “dirty” water and that’s what they feed off of. Here’s a shot of mine and I have never fed them at all, yes my tang loves to photo-bomb every coral shot
Next time I'll definitely keep it towards the bottom of the tank, just thought it would be nice in the middle of tank and didnt know if Acan stink frogspawn. I'm still new to the hobby, but what does 70% mean.is there a percentage in the app that would tell me? Forgot to mention it is a 50gal SCA.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I'll definitely keep it towards the bottom of the tank, just thought it would be nice in the middle of tank and didnt know if Acan stink frogspawn. I'm still new to the hobby, but what does 70% mean.is there a percentage in the app that would tell me? Forgot to mention it is a 50gal SCA.
It’s just safer to place them in the bottom so they don’t get overwhelmed by light and should you need to move them up is easier to do so than to move them down, your blue levels on you prime 16 should by 70% at least, on the picture you posted it says B-35% and UV should also go up a little. I run mine about 80-90% but I have some acros and sps that require a stronger par. Are you only running one light for the whole system?

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just safer to place them in the bottom so they don’t get overwhelmed by light and should you need to move them up is easier to do so than to move them down, your blue levels on you prime 16 should by 70% at least, on the picture you posted it says B-35% and UV should also go up a little. I run mine about 80-90% but I have some acros and sps that require a stronger par. Are you only running one light for the whole system?
Yeah I currently have 1 AI Prime 16HD on the tank, I asked around and on Facebook groups about another light and they said 1 light is fine. I'm also having a little trouble with where I should keep my wave maker and where to point it. I currently have it where I circled in red and pointed it towards that rock.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_000546452~2.jpg
    PXL_20220114_000546452~2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 28

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back