Frogspawn not out

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi, I just got a new frogspawn yesterday and I woke up today and it was looking great, really puffed up colors popping but I looked again a few hours later and half of the frogspawn is shriveled in on itself. Solutions?

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These corals are photosynthetic and how did you acclimate them? Failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals is often overlooked as when CA is insufficient, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it as you could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How is your lighting and flow? I assume when the image was taken the lights were no longer at the peak?
Lowish flow for the euphylia and they are at the sandbed so moderate lighting. The lights were actually the same from when it was out and when it was “in” i assume that it’s just acclimating and i’ll keep an eye on it. It seems to now have gotten bigger but the right side got smaller to match the left so idk. Will update tmrw

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just got a new frogspawn yesterday and I woke up today and it was looking great, really puffed up colors popping but I looked again a few hours later and half of the frogspawn is shriveled in on itself. Solutions?

image.jpg
With the picture posted looks like late in the day while the light is low? It's not uncommon that a few or all the heads will deflate for some time in the evening or at night. Based on what you've posted nothing to panic about based on behavior.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks OK to me. As others said it may have went to bed early as it doesn't know new light cycle. Just keep an eye on it and leave it alone

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do that all the time. A lot of things can cause it, like a nosy clownfish, food or detritus getting on the polyps, or it is growing and splitting, etc. If your parameters are all good, patience is all that is required.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back