0   0   0
Still applies. 1" and 1.5".

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. you need 1" and 1.5" to run a proper Herbie. sometimes larger on tanks that are over 200 gallons. using plumbing smaller than the minimum recommended will most likely end up in a disaster.

Ok so the .5" is the main drain and the 1" is the em.

flyingfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification! I will stick with my durso for now then. Hope i can make it quiet. Really appreciate the info

OP
OP
Wavemode

Wavemode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if i am hijacking this thread..i am doing plumbing today. I have a 1" and a 1/2" to use as drain holes. I have a 1/2" planned for a return going up the back for my 1200GPH aqua mag pump. My tank is a 90 with a 30g.sump. Should i use the 1/2" for the main drain? Is 1/2" ok for the return? I have a ball valve to allow flow back to the sump off my return if i need it. Thanks! I may just stick with the durso as Lance did...if my setup gets too confusing.
There's no hijacking going on here. We're all here to help each other any way we can. A couple things I see here. I don't think you want a valve on a Durso drain. It's my understanding that it's not safe to slow down the Durso drain. Only the Herbie should do this as it has an emergency drain for safety. Instead, put your valve on the return on the output side of the pump. I have a sicce 4.0 935 gph return that I had to tune all the way down to about 350 gph before my Durso went silent. I too have a 1 inch drain and half inch return. My tank is a 50 gal cube with a 16 gal sump. My sump has a skimmer, live rock, and chaeto so I want slower flow anyway. It's also my understanding that flow in a sump shouldn't be as high as flow in the tank. Mine is about 1/3 of the currents in my tank. If you switch over to Herbie then you want a 3/4 inch return. This is sufficient since your main drain would be the 1/2 inch. I assume you don't want to drill
Your holes bigger. I couldn't do that as I already have fish in the tank. A 1/2 inch drain can only flow somewhere around 450 gph max or close to that anyway. Hence the need for a valve on the return line.

flyingfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have learned alot here too, thanks! The tank is empty right now. I am not going to drill it myself, and do not know anyone who could. That would be ideal for sure. I was told by the people i got my tank from to close down the drain a little with the valve on my durso drain to make it quiet. ?

OP
OP
Wavemode

Wavemode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have learned alot here too, thanks! The tank is empty right now. I am not going to drill it myself, and do not know anyone who could. That would be ideal for sure. I was told by the people i got my tank from to close down the drain a little with the valve on my durso drain to make it quiet. ?
If you restrict the flow on your one and only drain then there is no wiggle room for fluctuation. I extended my drain line so it's underwater about 1/2 inch inside the filter sock in my sump. Then I tuned the return pump so the water level on my Durso was in between the drain and the air hole. Now I can hardly hear my tank running.

flyingfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i agree. I will try that. I had my drain line underwater in the sock once, but it kept burping. I will try relieving some of the flow from the return to run something else and throw my gyre back in for flow if theres and issue with that. Will let u know-thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Wavemode

Wavemode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have an airline in the to of my Durso. I'm planning on adding one with a valve in it and possibly a filter. This would give further noise reduction and adjustability IMO.

OP
OP
Wavemode

Wavemode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly but you will need it larger if adding an airline with valve.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back