From skimmer to skimmer back in the day.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 40years ago my first skimmer was an air driven Sander model using a limewood diffuser and Hoffman airpump, both German. I subsequently converted it to a venturi power skimmer using a Hagen 200 pump with air injection. This was a big improvement over using the airpump and wood diffuser.

A friend of mine had a small LFS in Liverpool and often sold Tunze equipment to order. I was offered a new Tunze power driver venturi skimmer complete with it's powerful 4002 air cooled motor. You could service the motor at home, all the parts being readily available. I got the skimmer at a good discount price.

I wonder how many on here remember those skimmers and it's small brother with the 2002 air cooled motor? Were they even availble in the US back then?
I also had a 2002 and a 4002 motor for circulation on my 6'6" 130 gallon sumped reef tank. Both pumps were clamped to the side glass with a tube into the water and a enclosed waterwheel which pushed the water and very powerful they were. I think you can still buy these pumps or you could up until recently.
Polish_20230129_163354047.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting! Thanks for sharing - somehow I had missed this approach in my fairly extensive exposure to skimmers.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanders air driven skimmers were certainly available back in the day. I sold them I think in late 80's or early 90's. I don't remember seeing the pump driven version though. The ones I remember were updraft. The rising air bubbles moved the water. I kept a fish bowl full of limewood air stones on the counter. Sold a bunch of those. A later improvement was a counter-current model, but it was still air driven.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back