Frozen food left out over night

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a packet of frozen mysis shrimp and forgot about it over night leaving it in my kitchen. Is still safe to use or is it a health risk to my fish. I've put it in the freezer now but I'm unsure about how safe if is to feed my fish.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trash it. Bacteria forms on the food which starts to break the proteins down. That's why people salt food to dry it out to prevent it from spoiling (bacteria is inhibited). My classically trained culinary background yells in my head- when in doubt throw it out.

Some might say it's OK, these might be the same people who cut mold off of food and still eat it lol.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trash-clipart-comic-12.jpg

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an anecdotal story to confirm what everyone else has said above. When I worked at a local fish store someone came in a told me a story about how he lost his entire collection of polypterus (freshwater I know) to a pack of frozen that had been left out and then refrozen. He worked at case western university so he was able to take in a sample of the food and have it analyzed and it was loaded up with all of the kinds of bad bacterium that haunt peoples nightmares. So always fault on the side of safety and toss it if left out for too long.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an anecdotal story to confirm what everyone else has said above. When I worked at a local fish store someone came in a told me a story about how he lost his entire collection of polypterus (freshwater I know) to a pack of frozen that had been left out and then refrozen. He worked at case western university so he was able to take in a sample of the food and have it analyzed and it was loaded up with all of the kinds of bad bacterium that haunt peoples nightmares. So always fault on the side of safety and toss it if left out for too long.
Thanks for confirming that, it's been thrown out. Not worth the risk for so many beautful fish :)

Mackenzieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister leaves all her food out if there's two half pizza boxes full they stay out all night and if she or a couple of her friends are hungry the next day not a single word or thought comes to mind about the food going to waste. Also will keep food in the microwave all night and eat it the next day. I hope they only eat it after one day. Lol. I left a pack of mysis out for 7 hours a month ago and I'm still feeding it to my sun coral in a bowl. Gonna get a new pack soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back