Fuge for fluval evo 13.5

lholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo 13.5 and I would like to start a fuge. I was wondering if the fluval breeder tank could work as the fuge. If it could, I’m looking at algae barns ultimate fuge starter kit. Would that type of fuge material work?
Thank you for your advice!

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @lholmes, I believe you have encountered one of the limitations of this tank. It might be time to consider something other than Fluval for starting tanks and instead AIO from Red Sea, IM, Waterbox, etc. To my knowledge, the only means to do this with you tank is a HOB overflow add-on, like those from Eshopps, then run that to your own pipes and into a breeder tank or custom sump of your choice. TBH, it will be more than the tank most likely.

IMHO, I would upgrade tanks at this point. Keep yours as a QT or what not.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo 13.5 and I would like to start a fuge. I was wondering if the fluval breeder tank could work as the fuge. If it could, I’m looking at algae barns ultimate fuge starter kit. Would that type of fuge material work?
I use chamber 2 as a fuge. I stuck a cheato max light to the exterior and grow cheato like crazy it really doesn’t help much with nutrient export but it keeps my ph stable. I use a denitrator for nutrients.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@olonmv is right. There is this option, if you are not using the InTank accessory in that area. Some people have been able to get this to work, I was not and cheato could not tumble enough to work well and resulted in more algae.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@olonmv is right. There is this option, if you are not using the InTank accessory in that area. Some people have been able to get this to work, I was not and cheato could not tumble enough to work well and resulted in more algae.
My tank is stupidly simple. Chamber 1 houses my mechanical filtration and the pump that supply’s my denitrator. Chamber 2 houses the chaeto and chamber 3 houses my heater, Ato sensor and stock return pump. That’s literally it. Although my cheato never tumbles it grows very well. Perhaps it’s because there’s good flow in there. Don’t for get to plug up the hole in the demising wall that separates display from fuge, it’s really not needed.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is stupidly simple. Chamber 1 houses my mechanical filtration and the pump that supply’s my denitrator. Chamber 2 houses the chaeto and chamber 3 houses my heater, Ato sensor and stock return pump. That’s literally it. Although my cheato never tumbles it grows very well. Perhaps it’s because there’s good flow in there. Don’t for get to plug up the hole in the demising wall that separates display from fuge, it’s really not needed.
What light do you use for your fuge?

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheatomax by innovative marine. Comes with 2 sided tape and is what I used to mount it.
I'm very interested in this. Can we see what (how bad) it looks? =)

To expand on this, I am assuming you're reversing your light cycle to stabilize your pH. True?

I'd really like to see how it looks in the dark. Does it light up the room at all?

Thanks. (sorry if I'm hijacking this thread!)

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lholmes I'm in the same situation. I have the EVO and am really missing the benefits of a fuge. I'd like to "hide" my ATO sensors in a fuge as well as set up a UV and Skimmer. Not to mention a pH monitor, etc.
Truth be told, it WOULD make more sense to just get a bigger tank but... My wife has been waiting for a new kitchen so, if she "Sees" me spending money on this, it would be bad. LOL

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on my 13.5, its a hob refuge that can hung on either the side glass or attached to the chamber. It'll also add another 1.5 gals to you overall volume

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in this. Can we see what (how bad) it looks? =)
I could post a pic but you’d literally not even be able to tell it’s there. My tank backs to a wall and you really have to look for it to see it.
To expand on this, I am assuming you're reversing your light cycle to stabilize your pH. True?
Absolutely correct. I run the cheatomax opposite of my lighting schedule and for about 11hrs at the moment.
I'd really like to see how it looks in the dark. Does it light up the room at all?
I can assure you that it’s extremely none intrusive. The included 2 sided tape blocks about 95% if side light leakage and since it’s a red spectrum it’s very vague.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9933BAE5-EC94-492B-AFFA-EB7DB1D9B094.jpeg Not sure if this will help but here’s my fuge light when it’s on.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally helps! I think i'd like to try this. Are you able to keep your nitrates above 0?
To be honest, I thought it would strip my water of N03 but, even running it at 18 hrs a day, it wasn’t enough to keep my nutrients down. I instead made and incorporated a denitrator. Which dramatically helps me maintain desired nutrient levels.

elm03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a Fuge?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium is a separate area within a saltwater aquarium that is used to cultivate and grow beneficial organisms, such as microalgae, copepods, and other invertebrates. These organisms can help to maintain the overall health and balance of the aquarium by serving as a food source for other inhabitants, and by helping to remove excess nutrients and waste products from the water. Additionally, a refugium can help to stabilize pH and oxygen levels, and can provide a safe haven for fish and other inhabitants during times of stress.

ccaplinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar setup to Olonmv so I've attached a few pics for you. I use an InTank basket in chamber 1 with bioballs in the bottom, Chemipure Blue in the middle, and filter floss up top. In chamber 2 I have the InTank basket with chaeto and the Innovative Marine ChaetoMax light mounted externally. In chamber 3 I have a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 return pump, my ATO sensor and a custom 3d printed hook-on water line. Up until Friday I had a heater back there, but it reset itself and cooked my entire tank. I'm replacing it with an Innovative Marine Helio Nano that should help prevent that from happening again. My refugium grows chaeto like crazy and does a decent job of exporting nutrients, but I still run the Chemipure to help keep nitrates down and occasionally toss a bag of carbon in chamber 3 if I see a nitrate spike. Aside from the heater problem I ran into this tank has been super stable for a year and a half.

Attachments

• IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5555.jpeg
    IMG_5555.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 49

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar setup to Olonmv so I've attached a few pics for you. I use an InTank basket in chamber 1 with bioballs in the bottom, Chemipure Blue in the middle, and filter floss up top. In chamber 2 I have the InTank basket with chaeto and the Innovative Marine ChaetoMax light mounted externally. In chamber 3 I have a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 return pump, my ATO sensor and a custom 3d printed hook-on water line. Up until Friday I had a heater back there, but it reset itself and cooked my entire tank. I'm replacing it with an Innovative Marine Helio Nano that should help prevent that from happening again. My refugium grows chaeto like crazy and does a decent job of exporting nutrients, but I still run the Chemipure to help keep nitrates down and occasionally toss a bag of carbon in chamber 3 if I see a nitrate spike. Aside from the heater problem I ran into this tank has been super stable for a year and a half.
Very nice! I like simple. I’ve been told it’s pointless and it most likely is but, I don’t care. Sometimes I’m a swim against the current kinda guy lol. I’m trying my hand at minimal water changes. So far I’m about 6 months into a no water change trip. I use a denitrifier to keep N03 at bay (works exceedingly well) and dose All for Reef, phyto, manganese and, aminos with the occasional once a week target feeding of reef roids. I feed a mixture of frozen food (LRS reef frenzy nano fish eggs mysis all mixed up) once daily at about 1.5 ml. All I have for filtration is that blue/white Ac filter (rinsed) and that’s it. I’ve been having really great numbers for the past few months *sign of the cross* and plan on sending for an ICP at the end of the month. P04 in the .04-.08 range & N03, I can keep where I like but, usually between 5-15 and both have been consistent to the point I can almost predict my numbers. I’m finally getting a grip on this reef stuff!!! I almost tapped out. Pretty sure starting dry was a huge crutch. I’m pretty confident I’m ready for the big leagues (tank upgrade)!

ccaplinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I like simple. I’ve been told it’s pointless and it most likely is but, I don’t care. Sometimes I’m a swim against the current kinda guy lol. I’m trying my hand at minimal water changes. So far I’m about 6 months into a no water change trip. I use a denitrifier to keep N03 at bay (works exceedingly well) and dose All for Reef, phyto, manganese and, aminos with the occasional once a week target feeding of reef roids. I feed a mixture of frozen food (LRS reef frenzy nano fish eggs mysis all mixed up) once daily at about 1.5 ml. All I have for filtration is that blue/white Ac filter (rinsed) and that’s it. I’ve been having really great numbers for the past few months *sign of the cross* and plan on sending for an ICP at the end of the month. P04 in the .04-.08 range & N03, I can keep where I like but, usually between 5-15 and both have been consistent to the point I can almost predict my numbers. I’m finally getting a grip on this reef stuff!!! I almost tapped out. Pretty sure starting dry was a huge crutch. I’m pretty confident I’m ready for the big leagues (tank upgrade)!
My numbers were pretty close....a little higher on the PO2, but still perfectly manageable. I dose All For Reef and occasionally Calcium and Alk if testing warrants it and I feed a combo of Krill, Mysis, and Baby Brine Shrimp once per day. I also only use the blue/white filter floss pads most of the time, although I have some water polishing filter media that I use occasionally after water changes to pick up the microscopic debris that gets tossed into the water column by the gravel vac. It sounds like you and worked through a similar progression and reached the same conclusions so anyone here looking at how to set up an Evo 13.5 shouldn't have any problems if they have the bank account to buy the same parts we both bought.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back