Fuge producing greater PH increase than display

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How common is this? Has this happened to you?

I have a 6 galon fuge on my ~85G system

For the past 10 days, my fuge has swapped with my display for putting out the higher photosynthesis. Fuge light goes off at 10:30 AM, ph begins decline, does not stip declining until 7:00 PM when it starts to climb until the bext morning.

I never expected this because lights on in my display, used to be .2 to .3 increase over the low before lights on. I do not know what exactly switched, because the fuge has been full for about 7 months but in a short period from a few stable days it has totally flipped.

My guess is this has more to do with the house being closed up and getting no fresh air indoors, and my during the day PH boost used to be more due to photosynthesis outside than in the tank.

But bottom line, who else out there have a flipflopped PH schedule?

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really understand your question

But more oxygen in the water imcreases your ph

when the fuge light is on the cheato starts photosynthesis and is taking up dirty air(co2) and produces oxygen.

Most people run their fuge light when display lights go out because corals also do photosythesis

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How common is this? Has this happened to you?

I have a 6 galon fuge on my ~85G system

For the past 10 days, my fuge has swapped with my display for putting out the higher photosynthesis. Fuge light goes off at 10:30 AM, ph begins decline, does not stip declining until 7:00 PM when it starts to climb until the bext morning.

I never expected this because lights on in my display, used to be .2 to .3 increase over the low before lights on. I do not know what exactly switched, because the fuge has been full for about 7 months but in a short period from a few stable days it has totally flipped.

My guess is this has more to do with the house being closed up and getting no fresh air indoors, and my during the day PH boost used to be more due to photosynthesis outside than in the tank.

But bottom line, who else out there have a flipflopped PH schedule?
You got a pH probe in the sump, covered in green stuff?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when the fuge light is on the cheato starts photosynthesis and is taking up dirty air(co2) and produces oxygen.

Most people run their fuge light when display lights go out because corals also do photosythesis

pH has nothing to do with oxygen content in the water

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More oxygen in the water does not increase PH. Oxygen availability has no corelation with PH

The question was, who else has a flipped PH schedule, meaning the DT light is causing less photosynthetic activity over your fuge light.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recalibrated and cleaned probe, checked accuracy. This is my PH cycle with the heat on and house closed up tight. I figured it was maybe a mistake, but for whatever reason my chaeto is really picking up the slack big time. Time selected is right when the fuge light kicks on, you can see when it shuts off and turns back on again later in the graph.

Just thought it was neat, no idea how its outperforming my DT lights, but there ya go.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231107_110627.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231107_110627.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back