Full Jebao Tank

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rest of jebao’s stuff is as noisy as the one gyre I have than I can imagine that tank sounding like a factory floor!
My jebao gyre was quieter than my icecap and maxspects are. At this point, I'm of the opinion that gyres are just louder than propeller pumps.

Like mentioned by several others I had no idea they had lights. Otherwise I would be fine with a tank with all Jebao equipment. The only thing I’d be a little uncomfortable with is the doser. I try to avoid going too cheap on equipment that if it failed could quickly crash my tank.
I have seen no indication at this point that price has anything to do with quality in this hobby. I'd trust a $79 jebao doser more than I'd trust one of first gen ecotech Versas (that are $200 a head).
If it malfunctions it is cheap enough to buy another. Most of the time it seems to work just fine though.
Absolutely. What bugs me is people lose their mind when a five year old $59 Jebao pump fails, but it doesn't seem to bother them when their MP40 falls off the side of the tank, or when they have to replace $150 wet sides. It's amazing how low the bar is on expensive equipment - you'd think it would be the opposite. Cognitive dissonance I guess.

I've got a whole bunch of jebao pumps. They work fine. I've got some jebao dosers - they're fine - except the programming interface/control is a pain.

That being said - I'm getting really sick of companies deciding they want things to run via a blutooth app. Just put a 0-10v port on it and let me control it externally. I don't want to be tied to your app ecosystem.

nallured

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby 15 years, and am in the planning phases of a new tank. Stumbled across the Jebao brand doing research and am intrigued by the potential value proposition. What I’m having the most difficulty with is navigating the various models they make across each product line (return pumps / circulation pumps / dosing pumps). The Jebao.com website is grossly outdated given the products listed there versus what is available at various online retailers and Amazon. Is there a one-stop-shop somewhere for everything Jebao?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby 15 years, and am in the planning phases of a new tank. Stumbled across the Jebao brand doing research and am intrigued by the potential value proposition. What I’m having the most difficulty with is navigating the various models they make across each product line (return pumps / circulation pumps / dosing pumps). The Jebao.com website is grossly outdated given the products listed there versus what is available at various online retailers and Amazon. Is there a one-stop-shop somewhere for everything Jebao?

I can speak on the dcp return pumps and ow40 and 0w50 powerheads..both good choices. The jebao scp cross flow gyres are supposed to be good and very strong as well. People said they were loud during break in and quiet down after use. I would have got these but already had 4k gyres.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase wherever you find them... There does not seem to be a dedicated retailer for them. Your LFS should also be able to order most products for you.

I agree that the many versions are hard to navigate. My advice, for the powerheads at least, is read reviews and pay attention to physical size and the amount of flow... A "xx-20" might be completely different from a "yy-20" as far as size, flow, etc. Choose based on the specs that best fit your needs.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm dev money is so much more important than marketing. If your product is crap its crap, marketing won't change that. They just happen to suck at both.
So can you articulate how " They just happen to suck" like objectively ?

Last edited:

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought their 500 gph dc pump for mixing station. I am considering using the DC pump to rebuild the top of a Korallin Ca. reactor I had. I was browsing through Amazon and saw the Octopus Varios look alike pump and really thinking of taking the plunge.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought their 500 gph dc pump for mixing station. I am considering using the DC pump to rebuild the top of a Korallin Ca. reactor I had. I was browsing through Amazon and saw the Octopu Varios look alike pump and really thinking of taking the plunge.
It's an often repeated criticism of Jebao that they "steal" other brands' technology... An internet search for Jebao pumps gives me many results for Octopus and other brands, and makes me wonder if they are in fact the same products...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an often repeated criticism of Jebao that they "steal" other brands' technology... An internet search for Jebao pumps gives me many results for Octopus and other brands, and makes me wonder if they are in fact the same products...
IMHO it's all made in the same Chinese factory, different sticker slapped on it.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it's all made in the same Chinese factory, different sticker slapped on it.

Manufactured, probably, but the research and development maybe another story.
Electronics share the same problem unknown to "made in America" companies manufacturing overseas; ideas/manufacturing runaways by oversea companies.
A lot of companies throughout history shared the same fate.
Ironic, some of the oldest recorded history was contained by closed walls in China; other countries laid claim to such innovative ideas passing through the closed walled country of Chinese (from catapults, gun powder, cannons, guns, etc.)
Even more ironic are the idea runaways by professions of academic institutions (what people pay for.)
Conclusion morality and ethics especially patriotism/capitalism "can" break a personal bank account.
Yes, ironic.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me wonder if they are actually copying and reproducing someone else’s models to sell them at a fraction of the cost or if they are manufactured by the same company with a different sticker as mentioned by @Lbrdsoxfan
Has there ever been any lawsuits regarding stealing other company’s product ?

quentin17110

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them all….5 years running and very happy….
ABD6238B-9783-454A-A5C0-D0E51A7D9148.jpeg
Super nice tank

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with these sorts of claims is that brushless DC motors aren't a fancy new invention - they're a commodity at this point. Every power tool, every air conditioning unit, every household appliance either has a brushless DC motor - or they've moved on to inverter motors.

(from W.T.)
Manufactured, probably, but the research and development maybe another story.
Electronics share the same problem unknown to "made in America" companies manufacturing overseas; ideas/manufacturing runaways by oversea companies.
A lot of companies throughout history shared the same fate.
Like I said, there's no real R&D going into DC brushless motor based aquarium pumps at this point. It's a solved problem. Any R&D work is going into the controllers and software, and frankly, I wish they'd just stop trying to innovate on that - every pump having it's own unreliable app isn't helping anyone.

As to copying other people's pumps - for the return pumps, Jebao has basically been making incremental changes to the same pump for 15 years.

There are a handful of pumps (like the CoralBox pumps) that are (not even) rebadged Jebaos (they've literally got a jebao label on them), and then there are a couple other companies who have Jebao making pumps for them. There are things like the AI Nero and Jebao SLW where Jebao's parent company owns the patent and leases it to both of them (I'm not sure who actually makes the Nero pump itself, but I assume Jebao). And the SLW hit the market before the Nero did. It's hard to rip off a product you beat to market.

I had bought their 500 gph dc pump for mixing station. I am considering using the DC pump to rebuild the top of a Korallin Ca. reactor I had. I was browsing through Amazon and saw the Octopus Varios look alike pump and really thinking of taking the plunge.
I tried to use a Jebao DCW-1500 to run a Korallin C1502, and just couldn't get it to not be loud. Might have been a difference in the impellar style, but I think the intake is just way too restrictive - even at the lowest speed setting. The Eheim it comes with is only 600 lph. There was a DCS1000 at one point, and I think they even had an 800lph pump, but I can't find it anymore. Most of the newer calcium reactors using DC pumps have significantly larger plumbing than the Korallin.

There are some 600lph DC pumps on aliexpress though.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with these sorts of claims is that brushless DC motors aren't a fancy new invention - they're a commodity at this point. Every power tool, every air conditioning unit, every household appliance either has a brushless DC motor - or they've moved on to inverter motors.

Like I said, there's no real R&D going into DC brushless motor based aquarium pumps at this point. It's a solved problem. Any R&D work is going into the controllers and software, and frankly, I wish they'd just stop trying to innovate on that - every pump having it's own unreliable app isn't helping anyone.

As to copying other people's pumps - for the return pumps, Jebao has basically been making incremental changes to the same pump for 15 years.

There are a handful of pumps (like the CoralBox pumps) that are (not even) rebadged Jebaos (they've literally got a jebao label on them), and then there are a couple other companies who have Jebao making pumps for them. There are things like the AI Nero and Jebao SLW where Jebao's parent company owns the patent and leases it to both of them (I'm not sure who actually makes the Nero pump itself, but I assume Jebao). And the SLW hit the market before the Nero did. It's hard to rip off a product you beat to market.

I tried to use a Jebao DCW-1500 to run a Korallin C1502, and just couldn't get it to not be loud. Might have been a difference in the impellar style, but I think the intake is just way too restrictive - even at the lowest speed setting. The Eheim it comes with is only 600 lph. There was a DCS1000 at one point, and I think they even had an 800lph pump, but I can't find it anymore. Most of the newer calcium reactors using DC pumps have significantly larger plumbing than the Korallin.

There are some 600lph DC pumps on aliexpress though.
Lucky for me that I am considering using it for a C1502 is because I broke the top end plumbing of the reactor so I have to redo the whole top. So you believe if I build it out with 1/2" PVC it will likely help with the noise? I did see the smaller version of that pump (300 gph I believe) but it was the same price lol

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky for me that I am considering using it for a C1502 is because I broke the top end plumbing of the reactor so I have to redo the whole top. So you believe if I build it out with 1/2" PVC it will likely help with the noise? I did see the smaller version of that pump (300 gph I believe) but it was the same price lol

That's my suspicion.

my C1502 came with a really loud, chattery eheim with a bad impeller. The previous owner had broken one of the tabs on the volute and decided it was a good idea to PVC GLUE the volute in to the pump rather than buying the $8 part. Eheim makes pretty decent pumps, but they're still AC - so much louder than anything DC.

I've used that DCW-1500 for other things since - and it's silent in normal use. And I didn't get to the point of even injecting CO2.

Larger plumbing would definitely help. While you're at it - I do have occasional issues with the eheim kind of collecting air at the top of it's volute because the output is at the side of the pump - I'd think it would less maintenance if the output was at the top - although I'm not sure if there's some good reason Korallin set things up this way - maybe less chance of large bubbles making it through the pump. Also, the tubing in the bubble counter is way too large - replacing that with some capillary tube or putting a nozzle on it to get it down to a much smaller orifice really helps - much smaller bubbles means a more tunable reactor that's much quieter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back