Full Tilt Bounce!?!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got in and was checking the tank. Lights on full schedule and noticed my full tilt favia looked different. Had a soft jiggly mass on the right. Idk nothing new or different. System just doing its thing.
IMG_8178.jpeg
IMG_8179.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is related or not, but it reminds me of when corals "bounce" unexpectedly (such as the acans discussed below):
They're basically joking that you've either got two corals or a "bounce" acan that would be potentially be valuable.

The only thing I can find on this condition is that it may potentially be caused either by some kind of high lighting (some people say LED's, others UV; it's basically thought to be similar to sunburn reaction in people) or by elevated potassium levels, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the corals in any way (but the bubbles if popped are prone to infection):
So, it may be high lighting/UV or it may be elevated potassium; I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty for reply @ISpeakForTheSeas No special UV other then the wavelength found in the ab+ spec radion g5 pro and not dosing anything other then esv cal alk and mag.
Yeah, as mentioned further down in the quote:
"I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful."

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 121 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back