Full Time Photographer Turned Reefer

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots and very nice reef tank, just started following you in IG. I am starting to practice photography in my reef tank, but not much models in there yet :D. I hope I can get to the point you are in photography and having such a beautiful tank.

You should open a new IG account for your tank shots.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are awesome!. But the corals you own all I can say is = WOW. The subjects alone are doing some heavy lifting for you! haha

OP
OP
reptireef

reptireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots and very nice reef tank, just started following you in IG. I am starting to practice photography in my reef tank, but not much models in there yet :D. I hope I can get to the point you are in photography and having such a beautiful tank.

You should open a new IG account for your tank shots.
Thank you! Many years of practice and I'm still not satisfied with my work but there is no end in sight! Also you can find my coral pics on Instagram under my forum name on here :)

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Your pictures are incredible. I am inspired. I recently acquired a 6D Mark II, 100mm 2.8, a 24-105 lens and am learning. There is a lot to learn and like any art it is taking some time to do so but it is fun.

Question, I seem to get better shots with a yellow #8 filter than orange 85B (on sale btw). Is it because I am not shooing under all blue light. Tank runs blue-white at 100/20. Should I turn the white all the way off and use orange for pics?

OP
OP
reptireef

reptireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Your pictures are incredible. I am inspired. I recently acquired a 6D Mark II, 100mm 2.8, a 24-105 lens and am learning. There is a lot to learn and like any art it is taking some time to do so but it is fun.

Question, I seem to get better shots with a yellow #8 filter than orange 85B (on sale btw). Is it because I am not shooing under all blue light. Tank runs blue-white at 100/20. Should I turn the white all the way off and use orange for pics?
I always shoot under full blue to get the most natural color pop rather than upping saturation, I actually just got my 85B after using whatever the Avast Marine one is. The 85B doesn't block out as much blue as the other but the corals pop more in my opinion. Though with every photo I still have to slide the color temperature all the way warm in editing to get the best look rather than a fully blue photo.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shoot under full blue to get the most natural color pop rather than upping saturation, I actually just got my 85B after using whatever the Avast Marine one is. The 85B doesn't block out as much blue as the other but the corals pop more in my opinion. Though with every photo I still have to slide the color temperature all the way warm in editing to get the best look rather than a fully blue photo.
Thank you. I will try that.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible work you do. What portal do you use. Avast has a long and short version. Is it nessasary to use the longer? Or is the short version best? Getting ready to order one. Are there other portals you recommend?

Thanks

OP
OP
reptireef

reptireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible work you do. What portal do you use. Avast has a long and short version. Is it nessasary to use the longer? Or is the short version best? Getting ready to order one. Are there other portals you recommend?

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply, thank you! I use the short version from Avast. Even with my long lens, I don’t find a need for the longer version unless you have a long lens that doesn’t zoom, it would also obstruct the view of short lenses. It’s the only one I’ve used so I can’t say much about others

OP
OP
reptireef

reptireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7FB74164-736C-4B16-94E7-AD1ED7A54BBE.jpeg
8490346B-F390-47E2-93B8-8AB11AAD0383.jpeg
5B896A69-0C7B-4717-91CF-059AF3FD9EEC.jpeg
10D6D197-62E0-42B3-9463-FB501F4DC699.jpeg
32315ABC-EA32-4706-9C45-E5FF2854B957.jpeg
879B7AFB-0A91-4369-9A69-335ED7634370.jpeg

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ayyy nice dude I actually come from the same background. Was a professional automotive photographer and did work with companies like BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and a few others.

Trying to do the same as you and start doing some photography with reefs and such. Your work is great!

I haven't done any reef photography yet sadly. I want my tank to stabilize and get healthy before I start.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, thank you! I use the short version from Avast. Even with my long lens, I don’t find a need for the longer version unless you have a long lens that doesn’t zoom, it would also obstruct the view of short lenses. It’s the only one I’ve used so I can’t say much about others
Thanks. I did get the short version. Have not used it yet. Almost afraid to. Hope I don't drop my new camera!

Your pics are amazing and inspiring.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back