Fungal and bacteria infection

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some new fish to my tank it was a flame angel sailfish tang chocolate tang from my LFS. Since then I developed both infections in my tank. I have been treating it with Pimafix and Metafix with no success. Since then I lost all three above fish mated pair around clowns lawnmower blennies 3 damsels pajama cardinal tomini tang and coral beauty. I have no fish left I've also lost 3 snails due to this. Now what do j do to restart my tank to allow fish. I have several corals 3 anemones a scallop a sand sifting star fish and copapods galore in the tank. I have purchased new fish and waiting to pick them up to add to my tank. Any help is greatly appreciated. My tank is 150 gallon tank. I also gave a copapod breading tank set up separate from main tank

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infection might still be present in the dt. I would qt new fish.
#reefsquad how long if any time must we be fallow for bacterial infections?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the losses :(

have any pictures of the fish you lost?

OP
OP
Mking36523

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the losses :(

have any pictures of the fish you lost?
This is the one I was able to get a picture of that died

20191203_071233.jpg

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like ich possibly with velvet more than a bacterial infection. 72 days fallow. Draining the water will decrease the parasite load thats free swimming but not eliminate it.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to effect "bad" bacteria in a DT without destroying the beneficial bacteria in the tank as well. Lots of opinions on the subject but many agree that the "bad" bacteria are secondary to other primary actors such as poor tank conditions, shipping damage, aggression, stress, etc. that allow these "latent" bacteria to become active and effective on the fish with compromised immune systems. Many commercial breeders use UV sterilizers with the correct flow rates and uv outputs to attempt to limit the growth of the harmful bacteria in their grow tanks. But for most of us hobbyists, the best defense is pristine water conditions, feeding fish a variety of high quality foods that reflect their natural food sources, and quarantining all incoming "wet" additions to our tanks.
That being said, what to do if you have a DT with uronema for example in the water? The only way to eliminate it with high confidence would be a tear down and sterilization of the tank and equipment and starting over. All of which furthers the thinking and practice of choosing wisely fish that are healthy and quarantining all incoming fish so to avoid bringing in a "Typhoid Mary" with a compromised immune system into your DT's environment. Perhaps @Humblefish can help us here.
According to this thread theres no fallow period for infection...

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that it was poking out and white and fuzzy
The outward appearance of ich and velvet are not the actual parasites but scabs from their damage. Which can get infected by even opportunistic beneficial bacteria.

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as everyone has said, looks like Ich, the fallow period will only begin when all fish are removed, if you can youll need to remove the cardinal and then start the 76 day period.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%

Back