Fungia VS Kessil

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this big Fungia plate from ReefaPalooza but I got a quick question I know the “PAR” requirements are pretty low for this guy and I got my par mapped out. I got full intensity running for 5 hours a day and ram up and down on either side. Look at the par map and the Fungia decided final resting place. It moves from the left corner to this spot. Should I slowly add some more light to my schedule. I have a few corals doing poorly
image.jpg
C9598F59-3496-4BE9-8FE7-4BDE37971674.png

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess I think you may be over-lighting. They say Kessil lights give PAR readings that are not comparable to other lights and as a long-time Kessil user who only recently got a PAR meter I would have to agree. The "PAR" levels that my corals are happy at are much lower that what you see on youtube or read on forums.
A hammer coral such as what I see in your photo with slowly shrink then bail out if given too little light. That does not appear to be happening. Mussid corals will extend polyps into a trumpet shape when they are happy. When over-lit they will be much flatter against the skeleton. The plate coral in your photo looks happy. They will have much poorer tentacle extension when over-lit.
Hope this bit of advice will help you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back