Furry lobster, mass murderer or wrasse victim?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs got in a trio of indo - pacific furry lobsters. They look awesome and feel like a great slipper lobster substitute, but I'm curious as to whether they will kill things. They do, in fact, have small claws, but they're also smaller than my marginatus wrasse, who's a bit of a bully and have a decently large mouth, so I'm worry that it's just entirely incompatible. I've never seen anyone keep them but I want them and I want many of them if I can.

1700878607445.png

Even though I did see them I didn't take a photo, they look like this.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs got in a trio of indo - pacific furry lobsters. They look awesome and feel like a great slipper lobster substitute, but I'm curious as to whether they will kill things. They do, in fact, have small claws, but they're also smaller than my marginatus wrasse, who's a bit of a bully and have a decently large mouth, so I'm worry that it's just entirely incompatible. I've never seen anyone keep them but I want them and I want many of them if I can.

1700878607445.png

@Slocke @i cant think any opinions?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything Halichoeres is a danger to small crustaceans. I think the lobster will be fine until the first time it molts, then the wrasse will get it.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything Halichoeres is a danger to small crustaceans. I think the lobster will be fine until the first time it molts, then the wrasse will get it.
how big of an enclosure does it need? I can keep it in an isolation box, but it isn't the biggest box in the world.
I have spare rocks and tubes for it to hide in.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lobster? No idea. If I wanted to keep them I would just do a species tank.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lobster? No idea. If I wanted to keep them I would just do a species tank.
yeah not really an option right now... space is scarce and I hardly have enough room to do water changes. I really want it though, never ever seen this thing before.

Also maybe I can grow it out in the box and then introduce it to the tank... maybe the wrasse would refrain from eating an animal as big as itself.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find halichoeres wrasse only go after small shrimp and crabs. I have a few cleaner shrimp and they do fine except when I have added small peppermint shrimp and small emerald crabs.
And what about the opposite? I retract my statement of furry lobsters having pincers because they truly don't(spiny lobster sister group), but I'm not sure how slow a fish has to be to be captured. My only possible victims are Bert, the foxface, and the firefish, which sleep but don't burrow themselves.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what about the opposite? I retract my statement of furry lobsters having pincers because they truly don't(spiny lobster sister group), but I'm not sure how slow a fish has to be to be captured. My only possible victims are Bert, the foxface, and the firefish, which sleep but don't burrow themselves.
I would read up on reef lobster care. From what I know they can be pretty dangerous to other inverts.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read up on reef lobster care. From what I know they can be pretty dangerous to other inverts.
I think they're closer to spiny lobsters in terms of ecology and phylogenetics, so that side is what I looked into. It seems like they will kill if they're not well - fed, but more of a threat to invertebrates. I suppose it'll be a risk to my precious sea hare...

that dang bunny causes me so much trouble.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1700878607445.png

Bad idea altogether, these are going to be similar to the pink and blue ‘Reef’ Lobsters in which they should be reef safe but they do hunt even when fed well.

Halichoeres generally ignore most Inverts that have a way of defence, most Lobsters are likely to be ignored, especially if added at night.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything easy to catch is a meal for them.

Despite no large claws, they are surprisingly very strong and capable of pinning down fish.

If it was kept really fed you might have a lobster that's happy and won't be in 'feed' mode as frequently, but in general its no different from other lobsters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back