Future additions

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of adding 2-3 more tangs to my live stock. I have asked several different people and of course I get different answers. I currently have 8 tangs in my 310 gallon display. Along with a couple wrasses a magnificent and lo foxface

1 yellow tang- 3-4”
1 yellow belly hippo-5”
1 vlaminji 7”
1 orange shoulder 4”
1 Tomini 4”
1 Desjardini 5”
1 naso 4”
1 ring tail 3”

I would like to add from the following if possible and would like to know everyone’s thoughts.

purple tang
Chocolate tang
Bariene tang
Clown tang
White cheek
Powder blue

I really like the powder blue but keep getting told they are to aggressive and will likely chase and stress everyone out. The bariene tangs are beautiful and was told I can get one with out issues however when I research it looks like they need a bigger tank. I’m a big fan of the clown tang but again I’m thinking need a bigger display.

From the list who would be the best bet and how many could I add.

Last edited:

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a shot at this but is only my personal opinion...
You have 8 tangs with 5, vlamingii, orange shoulder, desjardini, naso and ring tail that eventually will be large to very large, plus 2 foxfaces. Seens to me thungd will be very crowded when they all grow up. I wouldn't add anymore tangs or large fish in general and would just add some smaller fish. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

My experience with a powder blue was he was agressive but mostly towards my lavender tang. It wasn't terrible and went in spurts. Having another acanthrus with a powder blue probably wasn't the best idea. The powder blue also chased new additions but was relatively short lived. Beautiful fish. I lost the fish tho after a move and tho I have considered another I decided to keep things more peaceful. For reference my tank is a 270g.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon. TBH 8 tangs with 2 Foxfaces are already too many large fish. As they grow the tank becomes more & more stressful environment . Overcrowding means competition for sleeping space as well as foraging territory.

Agree with @Beardo, plan stocking with fish sizes in mind. Some tangs grow very quickly. The Vlamingi will get very large. You could rehome some tangs to say add a powder blue. But when you add a powder blue it needs to be last fish in the tank. They do not accept new additions & hold a grudge. Read @4FordFamily ’s article on Understanding Tangs.

A clown tang is not a good idea. They can get very aggressive. Keep in mind that once tangs are sexually mature, this can be when aggression shows. So when you read about someone having “success” with certain species known for aggression...it may be because that fish is not reached maturity.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that your tank is "tanged out". If you had eight smaller tangs, you might be OK. But IMO with a vlamingi, naso, hippo, desjardini, and orange shoulder when full-grown they will be all the tang your tank can handle, most likely even with phenomenal nutrient export.

My 10 foot tank has about 10 large tangs and angels in it total (405 gallon display, ~100 gallon sump). It also has two dirty puffers and a trigger. I am going to be adding a few more fish but no more giant angels or tangs, probably. I do lots of water changes to keep up and have a skimmer rated for 700 or 800 gallons but it still runs at 50-100 nitrates despite the efforts.

IMO, Vlamingi are a MASSIVE bioload fish. Giant tangs are filthy creatures and foul water quickly -- as are most large herbivores. This is why I don't keep one.

Sorry, I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. I would LOVE to see tank pics though!

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info guys I have a lot to think about. Now you have me considering if I should rehome the vlaminji not necessarily to get more tangs but just on the massive bioload in the foreseeable future. I have a skimmer rated for 400gallons heavy bioload, and I use GFO to control phosphates. I have my AWC doing 60 gallons monthly. Along with my refugium to help with nitrates while dosing vodka, but I’m wondering if that will be enough in the future.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back