FX6 vs Tidal 75 - Converting a new 36g saltwater tank to 75g

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first, I wanted to convert my 36g bowfront to a 40g breeder to keep things simple but I currently have an active 75g (no sump - standard aqueon rimmed tank) with cichlids that I plan to rehome and convert to saltwater. The 75g will replace the 36g and become the "one and only" saltwater tank other than my 20g qt tank.
36g-75g.jpg

My question is using is in regards to filtration. The 75g currently uses 2x Fluval FX6 but I do have 2x Tidal 75s. I "basically" understand the cannister concerns but I clean them out bi-monthly (once every two weeks) anyways so I dont think the maintenance will be any different. I also understand the basic concept if something is easier to clean... then it will be done. But I hate to waste the FX6s... would there be any advantage of using the FX6 over the Tidal 75s?

Second question: My cycling plans are to purchase 60 lbs of new sand and perform a Bacter7 cycle. Can I help the cycle any by using the sand/rock from the 36g or should I start 100% brand new and then transfer once I feel everything is ready?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't like canisters as they make it a pain to clean and the surface area of the biosponges is not that valuable in a reef tank. The seachem tidal is ok but it has a bizzare built in bypass mechanism that makes it so whenever you put a finer filter pad or media in, much of the water goes around the filter compartment. If you can clean the canister once a week then its fine, but I don't like letting crud rot in a filter for any more than a week (usually a couple days at most for me.

You can add rock or a little bit of sand from your old saltwter tank to the new one. It may help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an external overflow and sump.
While I understand this is a solution.. I dont have any of the tools to do plumbing and I dont want to spend extra money on a new cabinet stand to hold a sump. The current stand is night viable for a sump plus the amount of money on tools to create plumbing holes in the tank is not worth it to me. I would rather save that money and wait until I upgrade to a proper reef tank setup that has plumbing pre-installed. (ie Red Sea or similar item)

This 75g is mainly for me to test the "waters" per se and confirm if I should move forward with a proper reef tank next year and see if I can maintain a proper tank in a years time.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is using is in regards to filtration. The 75g currently uses 2x Fluval FX6 but I do have 2x Tidal 75s. I "basically" understand the cannister concerns but I clean them out bi-monthly (once every two weeks) anyways so I dont think the maintenance will be any different. I also understand the basic concept if something is easier to clean... then it will be done. But I hate to waste the FX6s... would there be any advantage of using the FX6 over the Tidal 75s?

The FX6's will work great especially if you're going to be fish-only. If it were me, I would run both FX6's and the Tidal. The Tidal will give you some surface agitation to help with gas exchange and remove biofilm. Then, split the FX6's making one dedicated to polishing and the other dedicated to bio media.

You will probably find that you're going to need to swap/clean the mechanical filtration in those canisters more often than once every two weeks. This will especially be the case if you decide to start growing coral. At that point, you'll find yourself wanting to sell those FX6's online and get a HOB overflow into a sump.

Second question: My cycling plans are to purchase 60 lbs of new sand and perform a Bacter7 cycle. Can I help the cycle any by using the sand/rock from the 36g or should I start 100% brand new and then transfer once I feel everything is ready?

You can certainly use established rock/sand from one of your other tanks. That should get you up and going almost immediately. My only recommendation: make sure you're happy with the health of that 36g before you bring over all the organisms with it. If you've got a ton of algae or pests in there, then you may chose to start from scratch.

If you do choose to bring the sand over from your 36, you're going to need to supplement with new sand also considering you're doubling in size. DO NOT put new sand on top of that old sand otherwise you could get a major bacterial bloom. Just put the old sand on one side of the tank and the new sand on the other.

Good luck!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a (1) FX6 on a 90g and had no problems. I was able to keep LPS and softies. I cleaned the filter every other week. No problem with nitrates.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably find that you're going to need to swap/clean the mechanical filtration in those canisters more often than once every two weeks. This will especially be the case if you decide to start growing coral. At that point, you'll find yourself wanting to sell those FX6's online and get a HOB overflow into a sump.
Thank you for this and I appreciate your response. It is well explained.
If you do choose to bring the sand over from your 36, you're going to need to supplement with new sand also considering you're doubling in size. DO NOT put new sand on top of that old sand otherwise you could get a major bacterial bloom. Just put the old sand on one side of the tank and the new sand on the other.
That is a great point and I would have never known that. TY and this can easily be done. I was actually considering in purchasing some live rock from somewhere to assist.
I hate hob filters. I have a canister and it works just fine. But I wish i had a sump though.
I hear you but the stand is not designed for sumps and this tank will serve as a test tank for myself to find out if I can grow the easier/beginner corals with some fish in it. Probably for the first 6 months... it will have fish but eventually I would like to gain some experience with corals. I do have a gameplan in purchasing a reef ready (sump) tank but once I move into my new home.
You should check out the fijicube aio kits.
Will do. Thx
I ran a (1) FX6 on a 90g and had no problems. I was able to keep LPS and softies. I cleaned the filter every other week. No problem with nitrates.
I hope to copy your experience in this matter.

Attachments

• 1655673020353.png
    1655673020353.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 22
Back