G5/G6 Upgrade stopped Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converted my G5 to a G6 XR 30 pro a week ago. I changed four over and three are working great, but one today just had the light turn off and pushed the fan to full blast. Light will not turn on but fan runs. I cannot even use the buttons to do a reset. Has anyone experienced this?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the thermal sensor is shutting the lights down to protect the circuit. Which means its getting too hot.

When you upgraded that one did you ensure that the heatsink was clean? And it's not far fetched that the new g6 LED cluster didn't come with thermal paste. Did you happen to verify that?

If that's not it, while it's open double check the connections and any obvious stuff than might be out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess this is what you are talking about for thermal paste…is the board shot or can I put some thermal paste over the heat sink in the smeared area?

IMG_7423.jpeg

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell with blue lights. There's thermal paste there. When you took the g5 led cluster off, did you remove the old thermal paste? (White dots)

And did you check all the connections? Makingnaure they're fully seated?
Appreciate the help. I have checked the connections multiple times. That’s not it. Lights worked at one point and then just stopped. As for thermal paste, I did not remove anything. Here’s a better picture.

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if this works. Already have radion closed again but can unscrew if needed

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 40

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely speculation, and this is a stretch, since you didn't clean off the old thermal paste you'd think there'd be 2 sets of dots (thermal paste) slightly offset. Which suggests that the new LED CB didn't come with any and when you tightened the new one down it just transferred the little bit that remained on the heatsink.

Although, it's also possible that application of the dots (thermal paste) is done by a machine and you won't be able to know for sure unless you did clean the old thermal paste.

After you put it back together, and the fixture is cool, do the lights turn back on? Or does the fan just kick in full speed?

The reason why I ask is that this may be more than a heat transfer issue, and something more catastrophic. And if that's the case, the only help you can get is from ecotech directly, or if it's out of warranty, I know that
https://www.fixreef.com/ will get that light working.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to Ecotech Marine? They have been excellent for helping me out when I had a couple issues. You will probably have to send the light in to them for repair.

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely speculation, and this is a stretch, since you didn't clean off the old thermal paste you'd think there'd be 2 sets of dots (thermal paste) slightly offset. Which suggests that the new LED CB didn't come with any and when you tightened the new one down it just transferred the little bit that remained on the heatsink.

Although, it's also possible that application of the dots (thermal paste) is done by a machine and you won't be able to know for sure unless you did clean the old thermal paste.

After you put it back together, and the fixture is cool, do the lights turn back on? Or does the fan just kick in full speed?

The reason why I ask is that this may be more than a heat transfer issue, and something more catastrophic. And if that's the case, the only help you can get is from ecotech directly, or if it's out of warranty, I know that
https://www.fixreef.com/ will get that light working.
I really appreciate the information. Thank you. Even with the light off for over 24 hours, upon start up the only thing that happens is the fan to kick up in full blast. No lights. I am going to talk to Ecotech today and then will look at fixreef as an option too. Thank you.

Firelily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the information. Thank you. Even with the light off for over 24 hours, upon start up the only thing that happens is the fan to kick up in full blast. No lights. I am going to talk to Ecotech today and then will look at fixreef as an option too. Thank you.
I'm having the same issue, and I'm wondering what happened with your light? Did you have the light repaired or did you have to replace it? If you had to repair it, did you go with fixreef? Thank you in advance.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back