G6 Radion is here

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reading the description - it sounds a bit silly. Not sure what advantages there are - I would never change from G5 to G6 based on this link

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They claim a wider spread angle on the LEDs, or reflector layer. And more UV LEDs on the violet/deep blue. They also claim to use a more quiet cooling fan…

definitely not worth the upgrade for the changes they are claiming!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the classifieds and you can see who is changing from g5 to g6 :)

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
check the classifieds and you can see who is changing from g5 to g6 :)
Haha, true…. I think a better bet would be to add some quanta pro or orphek led strips on the front and back… people forget that the sun moves and hits all angles of corals, and the LEDs are stationary… some angle action is needed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha, true…. I think a better bet would be to add some quanta pro or orphek led strips on the front and back… people forget that the sun moves and hits all angles of corals, and the LEDs are stationary… some angle action is needed.
Perhaps - people also forget that coral colonies can provide nutrients to shaded areas as well. So - I think this is a bit overdone - though possible

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

G7… now on a moving track to simulate sun moving across the sky. Hey at least it would be something new besides some different leds.

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Kessil a360s to G5 xr30s just days before the G6 announcement. I was contemplating returning the G5 and purchasing the G6, but I’ve been blown away with how much better my tank and corals looks with the G5s. It is night and day better than my Kessils. I think I will just keep the G5 and maybe do the upgrade kit if I feel the need to blow money…

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I switched from Kessil a360s to G5 xr30s just days before the G6 announcement. I was contemplating returning the G5 and purchasing the G6, but I’ve been blown away with how much better my tank and corals looks with the G5s. It is night and day better than my Kessils. I think I will just keep the G5 and maybe do the upgrade kit if I feel the need to blow money…
if you have a chance to return and upgrade at no cost, ,,,, do it!! and save that money!

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Perhaps - people also forget that coral colonies can provide nutrients to shaded areas as well. So - I think this is a bit overdone - though possible
Timing is the key, don't have the led strips in the front and back on all day long,,, besides, I think the colonies we have in our tanks are frags compared to colonies found in nature.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Timing is the key, don't have the led strips in the front and back on all day long,,, besides, I think the colonies we have in our tanks are frags compared to colonies found in nature.
True - most tanks are not big enough for 8 foot corals:). But - my point was I am not sure its all that important - that the lights move. The coral in the tank IME will grow to where it likes the light. But - I get your point.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not true the earth is flat the sun never moves

/s

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like Ecotech and their upgrade cycles mimics the Apple (and cells phones in general) playbook. If you have an iPhone 12, would you upgrade to an iPhone 13 after 1 year? For most people, the answer is a "No". But, if you are on an iPhone 11 or older, it's an interesting proposition. In the world of electronics, if you've used a product everyday for 2 to 3 years, easily sell it at 50% of original value on the secondary market, and apply those funds to a brand new latest and greatest replacement, I'd call it a win.

For most people who have an established reef tank running on the G5 Radions, going to a G6 doesn't make sense. If you're running a G4 or older, maybe getting some value for your used equipment and upgrading to the latest and greatest, while being set for lighting for the next 3 to 5 years....yes! I think the real question here is where Ecotech is aiming with these incremental upgrades from one gen to the next. They already have a solid and reliable product that's been proven on the market. Fine tuning it to give users of the older gens a reason to upgrade, makes business sense. Apple has been doing it for years. There's going to be recent G5 adopters who are fuming, but that's part of the world we live in, if you consider reef lighting electronic equipment, rather than reef tank equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back