Gablami’s 260 gallon Rimless SPS Build

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news tonight. Came home from work and the regal angel was lying on the bottom of the tub, dead. I was shocked. This morning I had thought that it had eaten a clam and removed an empty shell from the clip.

Have literally 50 lbs of live rock in that tub. A couple heaters on a controller. It’s outdoors, no pollutants that I know of. A bubbler was going in the tank so it was well oxygenated. And it didn’t look sick!! Not skinny. No spots or wounds. It basically looked alive, except dead. Maybe it got too hot? Though ambient temperatures were cooler today than the previous few days.

I picked it out of the water and it must have just died, because it was still pliable in my fingers, but no gill movement.

Really have no clue why. Was such a beautiful fish. Just in case, gonna let that tub go fallow for a few months. And not gonna try another regal for awhile.

sorry @rds85...:(

Hard to believe this is a dead fish:
8E568B7C-24AB-4C8D-B622-548774EBD147.jpeg

NOOOOO! Sad day :confused:. I am assuming it has been discarded, but I would look in its gills and see if you can see anything... Well hopefully you can work something out with the vendor as that doesn't make any sense. Such a pretty fish.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that usually is a trait of a cyanide caught fish. Healthy eating one day, belly up the next.
Very common from imports from the Philippines. Not to say other country aren’t doing it either.
He was with NYaquatic for 3 weeks before coming to me. Granted it was in hyposalinity and copper. But the mystery remains. I had left the uneaten clam in the tub just to make sure that there wasn’t something else in the tank that ate the clam the first day before. But this morning it’s still uneaten. I hate not knowing how a fish died. Of course I’ve had other losses, but I usually know why, or can chalk it up to the fish being unhealthy to begin with.

NOOOOO! Sad day :confused:. I am assuming it has been discarded, but I would look in its gills and see if you can see anything... Well hopefully you can work something out with the vendor as that doesn't make any sense. Such a pretty fish.
I know. Unfortunately the regal is on his list of “expert only” fish that do not have any guarantee besides DOA situations. I can understand that. Maybe I’ll try again in a few months.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been watching this build from the start, nice to see a guy with a plan. In particular i love the way the lighting has been set up, i was stuck with trying to figure a way to wall mount lighting too, the wall mounts used are a fantastic idea, i tried getting these here in Australia and simply are unable to get them despite the same company being set up here. All the other wall mount bench type hinges i have seen available totally look tacky, and made from horrible pressed metal brackets. I did end up kind of figuring a solution and @Gablami at least got me inspired and on the right track, unfortunately my solution will not look as polished as yours mate. Well done on this build, its easy to see the experience behind the plan.

sad about the Regal though, there is very little info available on establishing these fish, what info is available is very hit and miss and seems to be more the luck of the draw as what works for one may not work for another, it's got to be one of the hardest fish out there to bring in to a new environment, expert or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been watching this build from the start, nice to see a guy with a plan. In particular i love the way the lighting has been set up, i was stuck with trying to figure a way to wall mount lighting too, the wall mounts used are a fantastic idea, i tried getting these here in Australia and simply are unable to get them despite the same company being set up here. All the other wall mount bench type hinges i have seen available totally look tacky, and made from horrible pressed metal brackets. I did end up kind of figuring a solution and @Gablami at least got me inspired and on the right track, unfortunately my solution will not look as polished as yours mate. Well done on this build, its easy to see the experience behind the plan.

sad about the Regal though, there is very little info available on establishing these fish, what info is available is very hit and miss and seems to be more the luck of the draw as what works for one may not work for another, it's got to be one of the hardest fish out there to bring in to a new environment, expert or not.
Thanks so much! It’s feels pretty good to be an inspiration somewhere at least! Haha. Yeah I found a lot of brackets that would fold down instead of up, like shower benches etc. Really a shame you couldn’t find these is AUS.

Yeah I’m sad about the Regal. But it won’t be my last go at it. I can’t stay away!

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The regal is pretty darn beautiful. Got delivered at 9am this morning. Packaged and bagged very well by @nyaquatics and temp was 73. Floated and acclimated. Snapped a quick photo as I transferred into its temporary new home.

680DBDEC-853C-4746-ADC8-FF5365ED166E.jpeg
Sorry for your loss.........reading your thread got me to thinking. I ordered a 3"-4" Regal for NY Aquatics last week and received a 6"-7" one instead. They were both listed for the same price.

starbuck88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your thread start to finish! Well done, what a tank. When this is all grown in it's going to be another level! great stuff!

Sorry about the Regal Tang, such a beautiful one too.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.........reading your thread got me to thinking. I ordered a 3"-4" Regal for NY Aquatics last week and received a 6"-7" one instead. They were both listed for the same price.
How is it doing? Personally, I’d be kind of annoyed if I got a 6-7” one when I was expecting 3-4”. Even though I bet it looks amazing.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing good so far ...............other than not eating. Yeah I prefer the 3-4" because of scale. i have a 225.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing good so far ...............other than not eating. Yeah I prefer the 3-4" because of scale. i have a 225.

Try some fresh clam in the shell, masstick, and last resort live brine. Totally off the charts but there is a chance. If you have any rock in your system ( in the sump?) with pineapple sponges on it, put that in the DT since their natural food sources is sponges. Then put masstick in/around the sponges.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your thread start to finish! Well done, what a tank. When this is all grown in it's going to be another level! great stuff!

Sorry about the Regal Tang, such a beautiful one too.
Thank you for taking the time to read through it all. Hopefully a lot more good stuff to come!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread so far and a very nice built.
Have you placed the Tunze 6255's already and how are they performing?

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues with getting my apex running again. Had to do a factory reset and worked with Neptune briefly. But it’s up and working again.

This will be my next project. Organizing the equipment side of the stand.

7C5F50FE-313A-4E7A-8FA6-A49273E57018.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues with getting my apex running again. Had to do a factory reset and worked with Neptune briefly. But it’s up and working again.

This will be my next project. Organizing the equipment side of the stand.

7C5F50FE-313A-4E7A-8FA6-A49273E57018.jpeg

Hopefully you labeled those bad boys. WOW I am getting a little twitchy HA

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread so far and a very nice built.
Have you placed the Tunze 6255's already and how are they performing?
Yup, I’ve got them both in, one on each side about 1/2 way down basically pointed straight. They are super powerful, deceptively strong flow given my bare bottom tank. So much flow basically all my fish were staying on the far end of the tank, even the tangs. So I turned them down to about 40% for now and the fish are back to exploring. Very quiet. Once I add coral to the far end of the tank, I’ll dial those bad boys in to provide the right amount of flow.

I added two more mp40s to the overflow side. The first one is down in the back bottom corner just to keep detritus to piling up where I can’t get to it. The other is around the middle of the left panel since with two big pump on each side, there’s a bit of a dead zone between them where I’m planning for a bunch of sticks.

Lastly, I’ve got two 1” random flow generators off my 1” returns that I’ll point to other “dead spots”. Hopefully I’ll have mice random-ish flow throughout the tank when I start adding corals. In this photo you can get an idea:

EFBB1784-115C-4FCA-B535-DDB54E2A05AE.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back