Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great!
I’m jealous of all you guys with your basement sumps and fish rooms and crap. Hmm, let’s add a frag tank! How about a macro algae tank? Lol. Hmm, maybe today I’ll add a few quarantine tanks. Maybe some phyto and pod cultures? Cryptic zone? My girlfriend loves seahorses, let’s try that!

Me, on the other hand, I’m like, “What can I do with this 6 x 7 inch spot I have?”

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini-me tank is a great idea. I've been tryimg to figure out how to do a compendium tank with my 120 and you may have solved my problem.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! I made it all the way through this amazing thread. Thank you for such amazing documentation and photography.

I am bookmarking a few pages here -- particularly those pages on the light rack and canopy. That came out so perfect.

(Now I need to go get some work done on my frag system.)

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update and always love seeing photos: especially your uv collection (I’m jealous), how tidy your sump is until the tangle of labeled wires (haha) and I gotta know what is the solar panel powering on the cabinet door?
4D6EE90D-3940-4425-A5D4-7F2AEB682263.jpeg

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! I made it all the way through this amazing thread. Thank you for such amazing documentation and photography.

I am bookmarking a few pages here -- particularly those pages on the light rack and canopy. That came out so perfect.

(Now I need to go get some work done on my frag system.)

Haha. Thanks for the compliments! Always happy to be helpful.

Thanks for the update and always love seeing photos: especially your uv collection (I’m jealous), how tidy your sump is until the tangle of labeled wires (haha) and I gotta know what is the solar panel powering on the cabinet door?
4D6EE90D-3940-4425-A5D4-7F2AEB682263.jpeg
Oh, that’s actually a grow light panel. H380 from the top, and the some light from the front. When it comes to fuges my experience has been it’s more about light than volume. You can have a smaller volume and lots of light, and it will do better than the converse.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every once in awhile I get a random Hanna test that is way off. Like it turns the entire cuvette sample a visible dark color. Happened last month once while testing copper levels too. Turned a really dark shade of purple. I think it’s something about the reagent packet. Like maybe it got a double batch of powder? But even that wouldn’t seem like enough to turn the color that significantly. Does this happen to anyone else? Any wild ideas as to why it happens?

When I saw the color of the sample on the right, I just started over with a new sample. The measurement of 11 is from the sample on the left.

B187A35D-C022-4289-AFCD-E3A1AFA1227F.jpeg

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m jealous of all you guys with your basement sumps and fish rooms and crap. Hmm, let’s add a frag tank! How about a macro algae tank? Lol. Hmm, maybe today I’ll add a few quarantine tanks. Maybe some phyto and pod cultures? Cryptic zone? My girlfriend loves seahorses, let’s try that!

Me, on the other hand, I’m like, “What can I do with this 6 x 7 inch spot I have?”
Thats why I love my garage! Not only can I add another tank, I can just plumb it into the tanks that are already there. Perhaps I will start a Mangrove forest :)

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I remember correctly you have a crawlspace. This would be a lot of work... but it is totally do able and have seen several people do this to their houses ( not for fish tank reasons, but storage). Dig it out. Pour a pad. Insulate the area and boom now you have a fish room. With Cali permits and regulations, I wouldn't be asking/paying for permission to do so, but hey that is me.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly you have a crawlspace. This would be a lot of work... but it is totally do able and have seen several people do this to their houses ( not for fish tank reasons, but storage). Dig it out. Pour a pad. Insulate the area and boom now you have a fish room. With Cali permits and regulations, I wouldn't be asking/paying for permission to do so, but hey that is me.
As much as I’d love a fish room, I don’t want it THAT much. I have toyed with the idea of formally digging out and finishing a basement (lots of people doing it where I live), but not sure if or when that’ll ever happen.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank.
Question, do you notice any problem with the way you have your UV mounted? The only reason ask is because of a recent video I watched on BRS.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I’d love a fish room, I don’t want it THAT much. I have toyed with the idea of formally digging out and finishing a basement (lots of people doing it where I live), but not sure if or when that’ll ever happen.

If Covid hits hard again. Might as well dig a big hole for entertainment.. The second you step foot into your own fish room all the hassle would be worth it.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank.
Question, do you notice any problem with the way you have your UV mounted? The only reason ask is because of a recent video I watched on BRS.
I don’t have any issues with it. The key thing is to know that all UV units will need access to change out the bulb and clean the sleeve. Sometimes I see setups where it looks like a real pain. The two aquaUV units on the right both have the bulb outlet staring right at me, so it’s easy to perform that maintenance. The third unit just requires me to loosen the fittings and rotate the unit about 45 degrees to perform the maintenance.

What was the issue on the BRS video on mounting?

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Covid hits hard again. Might as well dig a big hole for entertainment.. The second you step foot into your own fish room all the hassle would be worth it.
Man, if covid hits so bad that I’m digging a big hole under my house for entertainment, we are all screwed!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any issues with it. The key thing is to know that all UV units will need access to change out the bulb and clean the sleeve. Sometimes I see setups where it looks like a real pain. The two aquaUV units on the right both have the bulb outlet staring right at me, so it’s easy to perform that maintenance. The third unit just requires me to loosen the fittings and rotate the unit about 45 degrees to perform the maintenance.

What was the issue on the BRS video on mounting?

They said if they are mounted horizontally they would develope a large air bubble and become inaffective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back