OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said if they are mounted horizontally they would develope a large air bubble and become inaffective.
Hmm, interesting. Horizontally is the preferred way that AquaUV says to install their units. Vertically, when the pumps are off (or fail), the water can drain out and can damage the sleeve or bulb if not turned off. *shrug*

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned this build for a bubble king double cone 200 skimmer thinking that it would be enough. And maybe it would be if the fuge were completely full and rocking. But I had the opportunity to get a bk deluxe 200 skimmer body (older model) for a few hundred bucks and jumped at the chance. It’s only the body because the seller had an AC pump on it, and I wanted to use my speedy rd3 pump.

Received it today and set it up. You can see the size difference here.

D3429AFA-0674-4B39-9DC1-EBA3C9943994.jpeg

The reaction chamber is much bigger on the deluxe, and with the telescoping pipe, I can run it wide open and have the level just where I want it.

Within a minute it had some nice smooth foam going on.

0B0A7AC9-46A9-4BC6-8E50-EF4D8450AAB3.jpeg

Pretty happy with my new acquisition. Now I just have to clean up and see if I can sell the double cone 200 body. I bet someone out there wants to upgrade their double cone 180 (hint hint!).

ECF9BC4C-0CB9-4778-B83C-58392FA5EA3C.jpeg

Cu8ano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back wall is a pain to clean, but it lets me do stuff like this with a 20$ strip light. I have it on a timer, and there are unlimited color options. Took a few quick snaps with the phone this morning because I wanted to share the concept with @Karliefish.

C3337681-A5E9-4A6B-AE63-D6B60A69217F.jpeg
7ADB8562-D2B8-43C1-9EA7-80BB2A27DE6E.jpeg
A34251D9-52F6-464A-AC4B-8AB6E053B698.jpeg
4337D1EA-B8C3-4F50-85C0-334CCE0ACD7A.jpeg
Love this accent. I've suggested it to people before to add a nice pop to their tank. Nice to see someone using it in such a way. It'll be nice once its filled up and settled in with all your goodies. And even cooler if you can time it to change color with your lights to simulate sunset or sunrise. There for when you need that extra wow factor. Nice scape too!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this accent. I've suggested it to people before to add a nice pop to their tank. Nice to see someone using it in such a way. It'll be nice once its filled up and settled in with all your goodies. And even cooler if you can time it to change color with your lights to simulate sunset or sunrise. There for when you need that extra wow factor. Nice scape too!
Thanks! There are lots of nice strips that are programmable or work with Alexa etc. Mine is the cheapest version, just on off with color control and remote. In retrospect maybe I should have spent a few more bucks and installed a more controllable one. So I can’t take advantage of programming different color schedules. I’ve tried recommending it to people too. Even if you don’t have a clear back, you can use it as an accent light around your tank. :)

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my magnifica ate both my clowns. One was a wild caught ocellaris that was not doing well. Maybe the copper treatment damaged his liver but I never saw him eat. Last time I saw him was 2 days ago where he was pretty much lying in the magnifica and not moving much. The second clown is a captive bred ocellaris, which was eating and looked fine. I haven’t seen either in 48+ hours, the magnifica is looking more balled up (not completely opening like usual at some point in the day) and clowns are nowhere to be seen. Maybe it ate the sick one and the healthy one got caught in the crossfire? I’ve got a super tight fitting lid and no evidence of dead fish anywhere (yet). I also have a nutrient spike.

In a separate point, I’m really impressed with the new skimmer. The build quality feels the same between the deluxe and the double cone. The double cone always skimmed well, and I got a good volume of dark skimmate. I was skeptical that the deluxe would be better, but to my surprise I think it is better.

The skimmate is produced constantly. With my DC it would stop and go (nearly the same inner diameter cup, the DC tube fits just inside the deluxe). This is a photo from this morning, and it basically looks like this all the time. So I guess that’s my comparison between the “budget” double cone skimmer and the “flagship” deluxe.

Come to think of it, maybe the clown deaths are causing the skimmer to work better...? like with all things in this hobby, who knows?!

39A8F9BD-63A2-4090-A9DC-2D9A51145DD6.jpeg

Last edited:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the clowns. That stinks. Hopefully they are just hiding somewhere, but all signs point to probably not.

Skimmer looks great. What is it about a picture of dark, stinky, nasty skimmate that gets reefers excited? Love it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those Deluxe skimmers and believe they are at the top of the skimmer business.
The RD3 pumps are great for them.
Sorry about the clown. It is strange though that a healthy guest is removed by its host (edit)

Last edited:

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. First of all, a clown does not host an anemone. The anemone is the host and the clown(s) are its guests. The clowns brings the anemone food(although it's really not needed as the anemone can do just fine with catching its own food) and in turn offer the clowns for protection. That is known as symbiotic relationship.
Secondly, a hosting anemone cannot and will not eat the clowns if the clowns are healthy. The healthy clown is protected by a slime coat that it produces and the anemone cannot even feel that something is on it. It's very likely that the clowns are sick and their immune system cannot produce this slime coat to be "invisible" to the anemone and the anemone took it as food.
The clowns will bring all type of food to the anemone. A lot of time, it's stuff that the clowns can't fit in thier mouth. So the food can be pretty large. And when large food come into the anemone, the mouth will open and the clowns will simply can't be hurt by it. So the thought of the anemone accidentally swallow the clown during its feeding time is incorrect.
I often time see the clowns dive into the anemone mouth to pull out the anemone's poop and eat it.
Wild clowns or any fish are a little tricky. They can have internal parasites that take sometime to rear its ugly head and kill the fish.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. First of all, a clown does not host an anemone. The anemone is the host and the clown(s) are its guests. The clowns brings the anemone food(although it's really not needed as the anemone can do just fine with catching its own food) and in turn offer the clowns for protection. That is known as symbiotic relationship.
Secondly, a hosting anemone cannot and will not eat the clowns if the clowns are healthy. The healthy clown is protected by a slime coat that it produces and the anemone cannot even feel that something is on it. It's very likely that the clowns are sick and their immune system cannot produce this slime coat to be "invisible" to the anemone and the anemone took it as food.
The clowns will bring all type of food to the anemone. A lot of time, it's stuff that the clowns can't fit in thier mouth. So the food can be pretty large. And when large food come into the anemone, the mouth will open and the clowns will simply can't be hurt by it. So the thought of the anemone accidentally swallow the clown during its feeding time is incorrect.
I often time see the clowns dive into the anemone mouth to pull out the anemone's poop and eat it.
Wild clowns or any fish are a little tricky. They can have internal parasites that take sometime to rear its ugly head and kill the fish.
Thanks. Yeah, the two clowns are definitely gone without a trace. I definitely think that one of them was on the verge of dying. The other one, I thought was healthy. I keep checking and waiting for the nem to spit some remains out, but haven't seen anything yet. I guess I'll eventually try again with a pair of clowns. Seems a waste to have a magnifica without clowns. But good to know that a healthy clown won't just be eaten again given it's slime coat now that this mag has a "taste" for it.

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a fantastic build.....great ideas and execution....building similar peninsula against the wall on two sides....also wanted to leave back panel clear but am concerned with best way to keep it clean.....how are you dealing with this?

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a fantastic build.....great ideas and execution....building similar peninsula against the wall on two sides....also wanted to leave back panel clear but am concerned with best way to keep it clean.....how are you dealing with this?
Thank you!

Keeping the back clean is a chore, but it’s one I chose intentionally.

I drilled a hole through my flipper max and ran a zip tie through it, and connected it to a extending pole found at any hardware store.

FFA0D60A-32AE-4CDE-9605-5F26F0D81059.jpeg

A64E0A06-B0FA-4A89-B04B-C7C2977E377C.jpeg

About once a week I bring it in and scrape the back. Make sure you have about 3”+ space behind the tank to work. Any stubborn areas I have to use a hand held scrapper with a long handle from the inside of the tank.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!

I drilled a hole through my flipper max and ran a zip tie through it, and connected it to a extending pole found at any hardware store.

About once a week I bring it in and scrape the back. Make sure you have about 3”+ space behind the tank to work. Any stubborn areas I have to use a hand held scrapper with a long handle from the inside of the tank.

Nice scraper, I might have to try that one. I left room behind my tank specifically so I can clean the back, it looks so much better that way.

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Thats great! Thanks for the reply!

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Gabe. I am sorry about the clowns...

I am kinda irritated! I didn't get any notifications that you updated your thread.

As much as I like equipment like your skimmer. It would be nice to a FTS under the norm conditions with out the fancy backlight :cool:

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Gabe. I am sorry about the clowns...

I am kinda irritated! I didn't get any notifications that you updated your thread.

As much as I like equipment like your skimmer. It would be nice to a FTS under the norm conditions with out the fancy backlight :cool:
Haha, ok, one of these days I’ll take some more shots. Looks pretty much the same though. Not much to update except my chaeto is filling up the fuge. Letting the coralline grow. And I put some orange gel film over my nest cam lens to increase my enjoyment watching the tank while at work (does anyone else do this?)

Before
B975BCAF-428C-432C-BAE0-82768D52EDD8.png

After
F94778C3-A33C-4A0E-8AC9-0429716CF8C3.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, ok, one of these days I’ll take some more shots. Looks pretty much the same though. Not much to update except my chaeto is filling up the fuge. Letting the coralline grow. And I put some orange gel film over my nest cam lens to increase my enjoyment watching the tank while at work (does anyone else do this?)

Before
B975BCAF-428C-432C-BAE0-82768D52EDD8.png

After
F94778C3-A33C-4A0E-8AC9-0429716CF8C3.jpeg
This webcam/security cam is a great idea. If I did this though I would never work haha. Also I hope this isn't on a screen in the OR!

Do I see a few little sticks in there? I think you may not have enough flow by the looks of only 6 power heads and two return lines.. haha!

Is that a big urchin on the bottom left? I really like your dwarf angel collection.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This webcam/security cam is a great idea. If I did this though I would never work haha. Also I hope this isn't on a screen in the OR!

Do I see a few little sticks in there? I think you may not have enough flow by the looks of only 6 power heads and two return lines.. haha!

Is that a big urchin on the bottom left? I really like your dwarf angel collection.
Ah the stick experiment was not a success. Probably still too early. Things are still changing in the system. A lot of hair algae died and spiked the nutrients. I still have about half the tester acros, but about half slowly thinned out and died. Gonna just let things age longer.

Haha, yeah flow. I could probably take down a couple mp40s. After adding the mp60 on the left front and moving around the tunze 6255s, I’m finally happy with the flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back