gaki's IM Nuvo 14 Peninsula Build Thread

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone. I'm starting a 14 gallon AIO peninsula and I figured I'd post some updates on this thread. Also I've got some questions, but first for the equipment and stocking plans.

Equipment:
- IM nuvo 14 peninsula
- AI prime HD
- ehiem jager heater
- JBJ nano auto top off

Filtration:
This is my first time using the custom caddy that innovative marine makes, and I'm excited to see how it works. My plan is to use polyfilter on the top layer, marine pure bio-gems on the middle layer, and if need be, chemi-pure blue on the bottom. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out!

Stocking:
Currently, I have a nuvo 20 with a designer clownfish pair and a few LPS and softies, and I'm basically gonna do the same thing in the 14 (minus the corals for now). I was thinking about adding a yellow clown goby to the 20, though. My plan is to do a bullethole frostbite and a black phantom/black frostbite in the 14; I think the babies (if they do pair successfully) would look really cool (and I really like how each one looks individually).

Now for the questions:

1. My plan is to use fritz turbo start to quickly cycle the tank (and also seed with some rocks from my 20 gallon). Does anyone have any experience with this product? On youtube, I've seen CoralFish12g use it, but it seems too good to be true.

2. This is also my first time using an auto top off, and my question is: in the reservoir, does there need to be any flow or is it okay if it stays stagnant. I don't really want to be topping of my tank with nasty water water. Any input would be appreciated :)

I think I've got my aquascape all planned out. I'm gonna try to attach an image, but lmk if it doesn't work properly. More pics soon to come!

*the scape is about 8 inches tall and 1 foot long, but I can take off that smaller arch on the left if it takes up too much space:

IMG_9608.jpeg IMG_9609.jpeg

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no flow is needed in the top off water container....you will be using it up and replacing so it will be good. I always dump mine after a few months and rinse out after every few months just so it doesnt go up past zero TDS..."total desolved solids" Thats what you want is pure rodi topoff water and the same zero pure fresh water for making new saltwater for water changes.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz work dr tims all the bacteria starters work but always be sure to test your parameters yourself

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your excited i know i always when im setting up a new system. Yes, please update and show what it all looks like

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh about the topoff container just make sure it has a cover that help keep the water cleaner longer and help with evap plus it wont attract stuff since rodi it so pure it wants to absorb anything ...i mean like dirt and then the tds goes up

OP
OP
gaki

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... more than a month later (sorry about that, there was a mix up with the tanks, but it all got worked out), the fish are in and looking pretty good. For a time, they were in an acclimation box in my main tank while I was waiting for the new one to cycle, but Fritz Turbo start did a great job. Cycled in just under 5 days. I attached pictures of the fish now. One thing that I noticed, though, was that the smaller fish has only 8 dorsal spines, while most ocellaris have 11. He doesn't seem to have any trouble swimming, but I thought it was strange. Also, the pump that I currently have (the smaller mightyjet by IM) is quite strong, even at the lowest setting. Is there a way to make it even softer?

IMG_9694.PNG IMG_56DD50547FA1-1.jpeg

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late but you know you can turn it down. But it was too strong for my Nuvo 10, so I got a spin stream nozzle. Or get the VCA versions, I have those on my 30.

Back