Galaxea coral vs. bubble tip aneome

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Galaxea which used to have it's long tentacles out but for the last few months it's been like this (see photo) - looks super healthy but no long tentacles. One theory is that it's so happy food-wise that it doesn't need the sweepers to gather food. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 24

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Galaxea which used to have it's long tentacles out but for the last few months it's been like this (see photo) - looks super healthy but no long tentacles. One theory is that it's so happy food-wise that it doesn't need the sweepers to gather food. Thoughts?
The sweepers don't gather food, they are protection (or weapons) against other coral.
I've found that flow can affect the amount of polyp extension in galaxea - did that change a few months ago?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sweepers don't gather food, they are protection (or weapons) against other coral.
I've found that flow can affect the amount of polyp extension in galaxea - did that change a few months ago?
Thanks. No real changes in flow, parameters etc. Galazea looks very healthy and is still growing (yikes). I'll try and check once lights are out if sweepers are active. I purposely placed this in the middle of a large sand bed with no immediate neighbors to avoid coral wars, maybe he just gave up fighting LOL

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. No real changes in flow, parameters etc. Galazea looks very healthy and is still growing (yikes). I'll try and check once lights are out if sweepers are active. I purposely placed this in the middle of a large sand bed with no immediate neighbors to avoid coral wars, maybe he just gave up fighting LOL
Again, "polyp extension" and "sweeper tentacles" are not the same thing.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like you have zero polyp extension, never mind the sweepers. This thing should look like a mini torch at all times with quarter inch long polyps. Then the sweepers get up to 6 inches long

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back