Game Changing Livestock

Have you ever added livestock that was a game changing addition to your reef?

• YES

Votes: 240 69.0%
  • NO

Votes: 106 30.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

NurseYoyo203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about livestock, fish or invert, that you have added to your reef that ended up being a game changer for the overall health of your reef tank! I recently added in a sleeper goby and I feel like with his sand sifting abilities that he will be one for me! What about you?

What fish or invert have you added that you would consider to be a game changer to the overall health of your reef? Be specific!

image via @madweazl
39699384981_abd90e74d3_h.jpg
He's super cute lol

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you Train your goby, I have a Mandarin and have spent a small fortune to establish a pod population
1st thing, you got to get the mandarin to not be afraid of your feeding utensil, it won't eat if its running from you.

2nd, I tried an assortment of foods but I had a lot of success with blood worms. Once she started eating blood worms she started eating everything else. Its tough just got to find that right food.

I feed frozen twice a day as well as dosing pods once a week.

saltyTroy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st thing, you got to get the mandarin to not be afraid of your feeding utensil, it won't eat if its running from you.

2nd, I tried an assortment of foods but I had a lot of success with blood worms. Once she started eating blood worms she started eating everything else. Its tough just got to find that right food.

I feed frozen twice a day as well as dosing pods once a week.
thanks for the info, I will give it a shot

Guy714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of Blue Star Leopard wrasses took out an unstoppable horde of flatworms for me in short order. Although one has since died. the male is still one of my favorite fishes - he spends his days cruising the reef looking for snacks.
I’m thinking about getting a leopard wrasse to help out with my bristle worm problem. Is it going to take out my coral banded shrimp and fire fish too?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Game changer yes but as in it has made me change how I am able to stock the tank.
I knew what I was doing when I added the engineer goby except I might have slightly under estimated just how much sand they can shift as they grow!
It swam out briefly a few days ago and has to be about a 12" fish now.
Sand measured at 6" at the glass. ;)
Oh and yes my water always has a haze now which is why I am not trying sps currently, my nutrient levels are "variable".

DSC_0008 (1024x683).jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a leopard wrasse to help out with my bristle worm problem. Is it going to take out my coral banded shrimp and fire fish too?

My cleaner shrimp keeps trying to do it's job with the wrasse but he won't hold still long enough.

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1610403309616.jpeg

Just make one of these bottle trap and put food in it. Not my pic btw
Finally success!! Now if anyone is near east Texas I’ll trade him for a small frag of just about any coral lol. He’s been relocated to my nano office tank for the time being. Great shrimp, just not a friend of anemones.

Attachments

• B5503FF8-F2B3-4D15-9EA5-64C28D310526.jpeg
    B5503FF8-F2B3-4D15-9EA5-64C28D310526.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 48

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The game changer for me and not I’m a good way was after 3 months of success with soft corals I added my fist acans, a duncan, a torch, and a hammer. All 4 polyp bail out and died in 3-4 months. Back to the drawing board.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally success!! Now if anyone is near east Texas I’ll trade him for a small frag of just about any coral lol. He’s been relocated to my nano office tank for the time being. Great shrimp, just not a friend of anemones.
So glad that worked for you mate!

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say urchins were the game changer for me! The urchin eats basically everything from algae to coralline on the glass, and it's fun to see what they decided to wear as a hat!

I want helmets and crowns for my urchins! So fun!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back