Garden Eel Sand Grain Size / Recommendations?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm debating on dedicating a section / building around a small group of Spotted Garden Eels in my 90g and I can't find any info on sand much for them. From those who have experience, what sand size / mix worked the best for you? I've heard a mix of smaller grains, larger grains, and pieces of crushed coral is pretty standard. Are there any brands of dry sand you'd recommend?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm debating on dedicating a section / building around a small group of Spotted Garden Eels in my 90g and I can't find any info on sand much for them. From those who have experience, what sand size / mix worked the best for you? I've heard a mix of smaller grains, larger grains, and pieces of crushed coral is pretty standard. Are there any brands of dry sand you'd recommend?
slightly finer sand with crushed coral mixed in to prevent it getting too packed with the top 3 or so inches being slightly courser crushed coral (so the sand doesn't go everywhere) they need at least 8 inches, but 12 inches would be best.

Using live sand (the kind that a few live rock sellers sell, not the bagged stuff) would be ideal.

They don't need a section, they like a flat, open area (without rock, the center of the tank should probably be where they are, maybe could have some rock on the perimeter). They need a stable, direct flow to bring them food throughout the day in the form of pods, particulate, etc (this has to be throughout the day, you can probably use some sort of auto feeder to keep particulate in the water column throughout the day). Their sorta like NPS coral pipefish hybrids that burrow. They need very, very docile tankmates who won't bother them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back